on 17 January 2016
I bought this book a while ago, even though I don't use a bread machine anymore. When I first looked into it I didn't realize that it was the recipes were supposed to be made in the machine rather than by hand but I was so inspired by the them that I decided to buy it anyway After all, if you know the principles of baking bread by hand you can solve the lack of details and adapt the recipes. If you are not that experienced just Google similar recipes, for example, Rye Bread and you know how much water you should add, how much yeast and how long to bake it. It is a pity that Joanna Farrow didn't think of including the information needed to bake by hand? It wouldn't have taken much space anyway. The few recipes I have tried have worked out very well, so no problems there and I hope to be trying a lot more. I am going through a very difficult period in my life and cooking has helped me keep a sane mind, also because then I make sure that I eat too. And sharing what I cook with people has helped me make a lot of friends. Most of these recipes don't use expensive ingredients. There are also recipes for cakes (something that is not mentioned in the title and it should be) and also gluten free-breads. All in all I think that this is a book worth buying. I have great books on bread making but unfortunately they are in my house in France, so the fact that I bought this little book got me baking bread again!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 December 2012
As others have pointed out, this book is slightly misleadingly named and it should be clearer that it's intended for use with a breadmaker. However, it does include a good range of recipes covering much more than the expected range of sweet and savoury loaves, including flat breads (like Naan or Focaccia), party breads (like Stollen or Panettone) ending with a short selection of breadmaker-friendly cakes and gluten-free breads. Like all of the Hamlyn 200 cookbooks recipes are presented on the left page with a colour photo on the facing page - there are variations on most recipes too, making up the 200, and these are easily missed if you're only browsing the headline recipes. Many of the recipes use the breadmaker only to make the dough and once the breadmaker has done the hard work you remove the dough and create round or individual loaves for conventional oven-baking. If you don't have a breadmaker then the recipes will still work but you'll have to figure out your own regimen of kneading and proving because that isn't explained in the method for any recipe. However for existing breadmaker owners this little cookbook is so useful it should have been included in the box with your breadmaker!
on 1 December 2017
I haven't made any of the recipes yet but there are several that interest me. However, they are mostly made using white bread flour, whereas I mostly use wholemeal, granary and wholemeal spelt flours. I will have to experiment. Watch out as some of the loaf sizes to use in the instructions are incorrect (750g is not a half pound loaf) and my Panasonic bread machine says to remove the blade and double line the bread pan when making cakes, so I would have to mix them outside of the bread machine, by hand or in my food mixer. More washing up! Nevertheless, plenty of food for thought.
on 28 September 2015
I hate this book. Yes, I hate it. The book has 200 recipes but it does not have a detailed contents page, which means you have to turn every page to review each recipe title to look for what you are wanting. The contents page has been "simplified" down to headings such as Basic, Individual, etc. The book does have an index but it is very little help and the links in the index do not work correctly and take you to the beginning of the book or to a recipe/ingredient that is not the one selected in the index. The digital version of this book has been very badly put together and, I guess, in a rush to reach out to the Kindle/iPad Kindle app users. I have many recipe books on my iPad but this book is a terrible version. If it was possible, I would be asking Amazon for a refund as I would in a normal bookshop. I am now going to Waterstones to look for a "real" bread making recipe book, one that has a contents page and a usable index.

One thing you have to be very careful of in choosing any bread making recipe book are the weights of the bread detailed in the recipes. The machine I purchased from Amazon makes two sizes of bread: 700 g and 900 g. This recipe book is aimed at breads weighing more. It is relatively easy to calculate the differences although you have to do that before you start and I have found that using a pro-rated ingredient measure does not produce the desired result.
on 15 November 2017
A lovely book for the price .Lots of different bread recipes for making in my bread maker .Colourful pictures set out well.I haven’t made any yet as have just received the book .But will add to the review when I do .The delivery was fast and excellent as per usual.
on 16 December 2014
Having bought a bread maker from Aldi in July this year (5 months ago) I have not bought a single loaf of bread from any shop since. I have now started to refine my existing bread recipes and some of the bread I make is wonderful stuff. The recipes in this book do tend to make a slightly larger loaf than my bread pan can easily cope with. However, with some very slight adjustments the ones I have treid work well. In fact I have purchased this book 3 times. One is a kindle edition (mine) and the other two are paperbacks to accompany 2 x bead makers I am giving as christmas gifts.
There are so many recipes in this book you will be spoilt for choice.

Is it worth it - indeed it is - even if you only use it for inspiration.
on 31 March 2016
This item needs to be labeled BREAD MACHINE RECIPES. If you don't have a machine, don't buy it. Its for people with Bread Machines. Some recipes also require Bread Machines that have certain programs to work also. As someone who hasn't a bread machine this books useless to me.
on 29 January 2013
I recently bought a bread machine so was delighted when I found this because it is aimed at those with a bread machine. I have just recieved it and can't wait to try out some of those wonderful recipes. I think the author has done an amazing job and I can't wait to see my results. I will update when I have tried some of the recipes, but first impressions are very good.
on 24 May 2013
Got this book after borrowing one from a friend. The recipes are easy to follow and the format is great.

Not had a bad bread yet. It will take a year or so before all of the recipes have been tried so there is the possibility of a bad one. So far experience has shown that there will not be a bad recipe.

Lovely book. I will certainly look at others in the series.
on 27 January 2016
Filled with a variety of sweet and savoury bread recipes, perfect for anyone beginner or expert with a bread machine.