on 15 January 2010
I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. I am also a bit of a geek. So I read everything about my condition and treat my body as a science experiment - measuring blood glucose (BG) levels regularly - writing down exactly what I eat - and correlating the effect everything I eat has on my BG levels. Basic scientific experimentation like I learned at University studying Physics

So I know, as a certainty, that I have to eat very few carbohydrates in order to maintain my BG in the normal range 4 - 7 mmol/L. Every time I eat even small amounts of pasta, bread, porridge, rice, potatoes, etc. my BG's shoot up after the meal. Wholemeal or not.

So, am I unusual? No. In fact I would say that at least 50% of other diabetics who actively manage their BG would agree that they have to very carefully control their carb intake and keep it on the low side.

Let me get to this recipe book.. which does contain some very nice sounding meals I acknowledge. The opening introduction states "Eat regularly throughout the day and base your meals on starchy carbohydrate foods such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals."!! There is a whole chapter called "Eat more potatoes"!!!

Folks.. this is not just bad advice .. it could actively harm many Diabetics who follow it. You should only eat these kinds of meals if you are completely on top of your blood glucose and have tested your reaction to high-carb foods like potatoes and rice individually in moderate amounts.

I acknowledge that I am not an expert, Dietitian or a Doctor. But I do know my body and that if I ate these recipes regularly it would very probably reduce my life-expectancy. I will add that I am not a "fan" of low-carb eating or Atkins. It's just that my diabetes insists on it!
1313 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2014
I was recently told I have diabetes, I bought this and two other books like it. Mostly to see what kind of meals I could eat. Yes the recipes or good but they are quite fancy and would require a trip to the supermarket each time. And I guess the amounts are for two people. Not good when cooking for one.
when I get home from work I want something quick and easy! Salad again.
The book is good as it gives nutritional information for each recipe.
Yes I would recommend it for couple with time and money.
on 30 September 2013
Most people with Type 2 diabetes cannot eat a lot of carbohydrates without their blood glucose going through the roof. This book includes advice such as "Eat More Potatoes" and "Bread as a Basis", with some dishes having over 70grams of carbohydrates. It scares me that Diabetes UK has got it so wrong. This is a healthy eating book but definitely not for diabetics.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 April 2015
I bought this for my father-in-law and my brother-in-law who are both diabetic.
The reports that came back were OK, but nothing gushing. Plenty of recipe ideas, but nothing you can't get from the hospital it seems.
There seems to be some confusion about the advice to eat bread, pasta and potatoes too, as some agencies tell diabetics to steer clear of too many carbohydrates.
There are sufficient recipes for it to be considered a OK book, but a little too much confusion around this carbohydrates thing to make it a real winner.
VINE VOICEon 24 December 2015
I'm very disappointed in this book.

It wastes the first 20% telling you about diabetes, what foods are good and bad, but doesn't seem to realise that a user of this book will already have had that education.

Nowhere does it tell you how many people the recipes are for. My estimation is that each recipe is for 5 or 6 people.

The proofreader, if there was one, was plain negligent : Some recipes list ingredients that aren't used in the preparation instructions and sometimes has items that are in the preparation instructions but not in the ingredients list. e..g. The ingredients list of the roast vegetable couscous lists a lemon in its ingredients and uses an unlisted lime in the preparations.

The actual preparation times are evidently based on a professional chef's speed, rather than an ordinary person. If you have all the ingredients, assume that the average recipe in this book will take around 45 minutes to make, not the 30 minutes on the cover.

From the title, this book has so much unfulfilled potential.
on 11 June 2009
An excellent book full of ideas looking forward to making some of the recipes. Really good value for money.
on 31 January 2014
This book give you plenty of ideas for meals, to give you a variety of food ideas.
Gives reassurance to those recently diagnosed with the condition.
MORE IMPORTANTLY, helps the individual to not get "bored" with meal ideas. Lots to choose from.
Good illustrations, straight forward in the preparation.
Value for money
on 25 March 2015
Fantastic book. I am very recently diagnosed as diabetic and have always been very fussy and even I like..no love many of the recipes. I have 3 words for you all....Butter Bean Mash, it is absolutely amazing I would happily just eat a bowl of that at a time. if you are someone in a rush or who is new to being diabetic I simply can not recommend this book enough.
on 23 April 2012
I like plain and simple food. So what do I know about chicken tagine or bulgar wheat salad? As for charred asparagus and falafel salad, I can hear my neighbours saying "it's far from those that you were reared". No, I'm looking for the Holy Grail. An author who provides simple menus consisting of plain food.
on 19 January 2016
Just received my recipe book in very good time and in pristine condition. I had this book on loan from the Library and it proved invaluable so decided to buy one. Its an excellent diet to follow whether you have diabetes or not.