Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2011
This is an excellent book, with clear instruction and very well presented, all the ones I have tried have been excellent.

The only downside is most of the recipes are in Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 Slow Cooker Recipes (Hamlyn All Colour Cookbooks) which is by the same author, and currently £2.69, So if you already have that book I would not bother getting this one, or if your on a budget I would go for the cheaper one.

If you like your books well presented though, this is defiantly the one to go for.
55 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2008
I bought this as a present for my mum, i'm super pleased, it's full of delicious recipes, well laid out with simple and easy to follow instructions and tips, each recipe comes alongside a beautiful large colour photo of the finished dish. Lots of categories to choose from like meat, puddings, soups & drinks to name a few, so you're never stuck for something new to try. Also has a great introduction, with so many tips on using your slow cooker & preparing ingredients. Excellent book, Highly recommend!
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2009
One of the main reasons I bought a slow cooker was that I wanted tasty, flavourful meals without needing to create lots of mess, or spend hours on my feet. This book does have some nice main meal recipes in it, but frankly it wastes a lot of space with recipes for hot drinks and vegetables - why on earth would you cook carrots in a slow cooker, as opposed to a conventional hob or even microwave? Surely, the main appeal of a slow cooker is that it allows you to add the food, go away and leave it, and come back to it after work when your food is cooked. Neither do I see how using the slow cooker to make desserts which require previous cooking on hobs etc. is either practical or desirable. Overall, the book shows the wide range of food you can do in a slow cooker, but it escapes me why you would bother to do some dishes in a slow cooker when you must also pre-cook them in other appliances so it seems rather fruitless to crowbar the slow cooker in at the end.
0Comment| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2009
This book is just wonderful. Having around 20 differing cookbooks on my bookshelf, this has to be the most versatile, and most used of them all. While enjoying people for dinner (and cooking for my family), but workin/studying full time, this book will take all the pressure of cooking when you're rushing in from work, or picking the kids up from school. With recipes ranging from 2 hours or 10 hours in the slow cooker you can plan a meal for whatever the circumstance/time allowance. In addition, this book has an amazing variety of dishes, from soups and casseroles to puddings, meat loafs, curries and drinks .... a beautifully simple book I can only highly recommend it. Recipes include: gingered carrot soup, salmon chowder with lime and chilli butter, mujaddarah, lamb hotpot, dolmades, smoked salmon timbales, brandied duck, walnut and green peppercorn terrine, malaysian beef and aubergine curry, steak and mushroom pudding, braised oxtail with port, mince and macaroni, bobotie, Thi bo kho, kleftico-style lamb, spiced pork chops with sweet potato, kashmiri butter chicken, caribbean chicken, gingered chickpeas, pumpkin and carrot cobbler, pilaf's, risotto's, squid in puttanesca sauce, saffron baked potatos, figgy pudding with cinnamon custard, jewelled rice pudding, baked vanilla cheesecake, classic creme brulee, triple chocolate cake and many many more recipes.
on 4 February 2009
Ignore the two star review, I think this book is brilliant! Lovely modern pictures (no soggy carrots or boiled chicken skin), really inspiring and easy to read recipes, and a wonderful chapter on puddings. If I'd known a slow cooker was so versatile I would have bought one years ago, and I do think this book will help you make the most out of your slow cooker. Yes, with most of the recipes you do have to fry off your onions and brown your meat in a separate pan, but you don't have to (the end result just wouldn't be as tasty or look as appetising). Recipes include:

Celeriac soup with roquefort toasts
Salmon chowder with lime and chilli butter
Bloody mary soup with chilli oil
Brandied duck, walnut asnd green peppercorn terrine
Steak and mushroom pudding
Burgundy beef stew with horseradish dumplings
Kleftico style lamb
Kashmiri butter chicken
Pistachio and apricot pilaf
Red thai pumpkin curry
Spiced red cabbage
Coconut snd lime rice
White chocolate bread and butter pudding
Figgy pudding with cinnamon custard
Classic creme brulee
Sticky toffee apple pudding
Rum and raisin spotted dick
Poached apricots withcracked black pepper

There is a small chapter on chutneys and conserves which I don't think I will use, but the chapter on drinks looks good. I really fancy the lemon cordial recipe and I will also try the hot jamaican punch. Either way these two chapters are very small so it's no big deal if you don't use the recipes in them. There are more than enough other recipes to inspire you here.
on 26 May 2009
I bought this book last week and have already made 3 dishes from it and can see at least another 4 I want to do. I have a family of 5 and work as well, so time is precious. Although in the morning I do have to chuck it all in a pan briefly, it has meant that dinner has been more interesting this last week.

While I do understand the other reviewer's frustration at the number of drinks, side dishes and desserts, there are still more main meal recipes and variety in this book than any of my other slow cooker books. The range of dishes is so diverse as it isn't just full of stews. The rice dishes are inspired as it means that in the evening no extra cooking is required at all.

I can't praise this book enough and have actually actively encouraged friends of mine to invest too.
on 24 January 2009
this book is brilliant it has loads of recipies that wouldnt think that you could cook in a slow cooker!! from fish to whole chickens its accurate and i love trying new dishes and havin fun while doing it and my hubby approves definatly a must buy for anyone who has a slow cooker!!!
on 3 February 2009
If you are in any doubt about purchasing this book don't be! Believe me I am no Chef but I do like to experiment with easy to make dishes that taste great. This book is easy to follow has great recipes and they turn out perfect every time. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with a slow cooker. Enjoy!
on 31 January 2011
The perfect guide book for a novice slow cooker owner. Well laid out, easy to read and navigate, with mouth-watering illustrations that really do encourage you to get in the kitchen and get started. Excellent value for money in itself, it leads the way in showing the cook how to produce tasty meals without breaking the bank at the supermarket. In addition, it isn't top-heavy on meat based recipes and offers loads of great vegetarian options - the Chilli Black Bean Stew is a knockout. Don't be put off if you're a single person, most of the recipes can be portioned and popped in the freezer - I might have to get a bigger one!
on 5 February 2011
Im no cook, however everything I have made from this book has been outstanding. My husband is so impressed. Ive been raving about it ever since I purcahased it. My favourites include Malaysian beef and aubergine curry and Greek style lamb shanks. There are so many more I still cant wait to try. I would without a doubt recommend.