on 23 February 2005
This is a lovely recipe book visually and has some good ideas for classy vegetarian recipes that are a little bit more than the run-of- the-mill vegetarian fare and have the requisite "wow" factor. For pure simplicity and tons of ideas on what to do with your vegetarian staples (vegetables, beans, lentils, bulgar etc) you really cannot beat The Bean Book which remains one of the most used books in my ever-expanding cookery collection (and I am not even a vegetarian!). It is so user-friendly and the recipes are easy to understand and execute.
on 7 February 2005
Rose Elliot is my all time favourite vegetarian writer - I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years.
Even if you eat meat, you'll find lots of recipes you'll enjoy.
The great thing about them is that she minimises the fuss but gives recipes that turn out fantastic.
on 31 December 2008
I Love this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves good food. Everything I've made from it has come out fantastically and I rate each recipe individually and not one has come out less than 8 out of 10, most 10 out of 10. Every time I cook for friends they want the recipes and I've just bought another copy for a friend as I was getting fed up of writing out the recipes for her! My only slight criticism is that the recipe contents are not written in a clear format (I prefer them as a horizontal list).
on 26 December 2007
Rose Elliott is a really fantastic vegetarian Chef & writer, I really wish she had a tv show as well as her great past catalogue of books.
Shes practical & straightforward & her recipies are great fo veggies & non vegetarians alike. Buy the book & be led by the hand by a true talent in the world of Vegetarian food.
I'm nearly through this cookbook now and most of the recipes have proved to be utterly delicious. Or at the worst at least intriguing. Although Rose was my first teacher in veg cookery in the 70s (i ate hummous before you could get it in supermarkets) her previous recipes only gave 50-50 deliciousness. This however is a fantastic mix of styles, although very heavy on the cream! Oddly soups pates main courses and sweets appear all over the place, not in the usual rigid sections. This is very confusing at first.....but just go with the flow and get inspired. Tandoori paneer under the grill, twice baked cheese souffles on mushrooms, almond and lemon cake with orange salad, courgette ricotta and pea lasagne, artichoke and basil frittata and wow raspberry and rose pavlova......were all winners with us.

Gripe time... Pulses and beans out of tins are slimy and unpleasant and she relies on the convenince heavily. I boiled my own and ate better.
on 25 January 2013
Rose Elliot offers a wide range of inviting and delicious recipes presented attractively, but I was a bit concerned that several of them (courgette, ricotta and petit pois lasagne pg 50, purple sprouting broccoli caesar salad pg 38 and tagliatelle with creamy spinach pg 66 to name just three) list Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (Parmesan)as an ingredient. Now as a writer of vegetarian cookbooks (almost an authority!) I would have hoped she would know which cheeses were and weren't vegetarian and as the Vegetarian Society (who have authorised this book - another!) will tell you Parmesan is not, never has been and cannot be vegetarian because of the traditional way it is made with animal (calf) rennet. It can't be made without it (unfortunately) and be called Parmesan by EU law. I hope it's an oversight but as a committed veggie it's a big one, especially as the Vegetarian Society is making a big deal of this issue in their Say Cheese campaign raising awareness of Parmesan NOT being acceptable in vegetarian cookery. [...]
It's a shame because otherwise I would give it 5 stars, but it does make me trust this author a lot less.
on 17 December 2015
I am afraid this book sat on my shelf unused for almost a decade while I flirted with other veggie cook books (including Elliots bean book which I have been using for 30 years and the complete vegetarian) I recently went through all my cook books and decided to give this a go. It is brilliant. The nut roast is the best I've come across - simple and delicious. I can't believe all the recipes I've tried out over the years and this was on my shelf the whole time! The courgette, ricotta and pea lasagna is yum. Its not fancy-pants cooking just wholesome, easy and has so far not failed. it is a little oddly laid out (both across sections and on the page) and I think this is why I didn't ever use it - what a shame because the recipes are really top notch.
on 21 September 2011
once again I find that Rose Elliot shines in her recipes, which are easy, different and utterly delicious. The ingredients are readily obtained, its not too fussy in other words, but exceptional in the simplicity and ease of making. What I have always loved about Rose Elliot's books - I have used them for 30years - is that you can be sure they turn out exactly as described/pictured. She remains the best vegetarian cook I have ever had the good fortune of coming across and I highly recommend this, her latest and best book. You need no other, its got everything.
on 14 July 2015
Got this out from the library, then when I ran out of renewals I had to buy it! I am the only veggie in the family, but all the recipes I have cooked so far from here have kept the hardened omnivores very happy.....highly recommend this book ☺
on 11 April 2013
I've had this book for a few years now and have never made a disappointing meal from it.

Don't worry about the 'Parmesan' comments in the other reviews - at the beginning of the book it says "... buy parmesan-style cheese instead of traditional Parmesan which is not vegetarian', so I'm assuming it was just easier to type 'parmesan' whenever it's mentioned in the book, rather than 'parmesan-style cheese' each time.

A few of the recipes I've made and loved have been:

omelette cannelloni with spinach filling
vegetarian pad thai
creamy cashew korma
coulibiac with soured cream sauce
chargrilled artichoke heart and basil frittata
whisky cream banoffee pie

and all the above recipes are accompanied by beautiful colour photos.