on 15 November 2004
I can't recommend the GI principles highly enough, and this book is a fabulous way to learn about them. The format makes it a joy to read - the font is good, the pages are well set out, the pictures are wonderful. Moreover the information is plentiful but everything is explained very clearly. My only gripe is that the daily diet plans are impossible to keep to if you have to go out to work!
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2004
Easy GI Diet, well, it really is! The book was easy to read and follow. It explained things well and made so much sense about nutrition and balancing meals.
It has daily food plans to follow for a two week period, with recpies for vegetarians and those who aren't!. Some of the meals I was a bit hesitant to try,ie herby lentil salad with bacon and warm aubergine salad. But, when I did I actually did like them and they were filling too, I actually found it quite easy to follow the diet and didn't feel hungry, just as the book told me. Although, I know this sounds corny, but it doesn't feel like im on a diet as im not hungry all the time ( like I normally am on a diet!) and am eating so well.
I have followed other weight loss plans such as weight watchers and atkins , but this is sooo good. You can even have chocolate and NOT feel guilty. I have been going for a month now and have gone down a dress size, the book isn't obssessed with weighing yourself but goes by how your clothes feel and how you should be feeling better in yourself.
It would of been nice to have a few more recipies in there but you can adapt them to suit your self and it gives a glycaemic index of foods in the back so you can always conjure up your own ideas.
But, do try it, if I can follow to it , im sure you can !!
0Comment| 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2004
A great and very readable explanation of the low GI principles, which are scientifically sound and far more sensible than many other plans, which often miss out major food groups, which is always very difficult to sustain healthily.
The recipes are tasty and varied and include a good selection of vegetarian options.
The plan takes the form of 2 weeks of daily menus (plus 2 more weeks of vegetarian menus), followed by suggestions for a maintenance plan once you have lost the weight you need to. There is also some advice on how to make up your own daily menus although this could have been a bit more detailed. Lots of good advice on increasing your exercise levels, which is always vital to weight loss.
A great way to start out on re-educating yourself to eat in this way, especially if you like to follow complete daily plans. Buy it!
I would like Ms Foster to produce another book of recipes to continue on these lines.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2005
Excellent book. Clear, concise, easy to follow and understand. Explains the science behind why a GI diet works and then follows this with recipes.
The book splits recipes for meat eaters and vegetarians into sections. There are even two weeks worth of recipes for maintaining your desired weight (once you have reached it - of course!!).
Each of the sections includes 2 weeks worth of eating plan, this covers breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. What is even better is that the recipes take about 10 minutes to prepare. My ideal recipe book!!
The whole family can eat, and benefit from, the food prepared, as it is a balanced, sensible diet.
There are ideas of how to exercise too. This is exercise with a difference as it can be done from home and can easily fit into your daily routine.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to loose weight and feel healthy. Thank you to the author for writing it.
on 6 June 2005
This is a very good cookery and diet book, in fact I would say it's really a lifestyle book as the author gives advice on health and diet generally. The GI diet is probably the most credible dietary system for us fatties to appear in a long time. Basically you eat simply and sensibly - your dinner plate should contain one quarter protein, one quarter complex carbs and one half veggies and fruit. You steer clear of sugar, refined carbs, chips, mashed potatoes, alcohol and so on. The author also encourages the reader to engage in more exercise. Day by day diets are given along with recipes that are simple but not bland. Vegetarians are not forgotten, either. Highly recommended.
on 21 April 2004
How refreshing to see attention paid to vegetarians in a low GI eatingplan; there is an entire programme just for us, with some really nicerecipies.It helps to explain simply why we should eat lower GI foods, butit does not exclude carbs, so I think it is more balanced than the 'highprotein' diets that are so popular. Lots of pics, very colourful, nice todip into, and fairly cheap for quite a big glossy book.
on 24 August 2004
See my review about The Good Carb Diet Plan about how good this diet and lifestyle is but be warned ...
These two books are identical in every way apart from the title and covers. This fact should be made clear.
on 27 October 2005
I was first attracted by this diet book by its attractive layout, and the contents haven't disappointed me either. It's well written, easy to understand and follow. The recipes are simple, but extremely tasty and don't require great cooking experience. I'm still in the first week of the diet, but I already feel the effect, in that I'm more energetic, less tired, less bloated and the hunger attacks have begun to disappear (one of the main reasons I've started this). And the clothes seem to fit a bit more losely already, so the feel-good factor helps staying motivated. However, there a some draw-backs: You will need to get used to spending a lot of time shopping and preparing food, especially if you work and are out all day. I have to prepare all the lunch meals and the snacks the evening before because it can take up to 45-60 minutes to get everything ready. But my main complaint is that the diet plans are not designed to be economic at all. If you are doing this diet on your own (which is what most people do!), you'll find yourself with a lot of recipes that are calculated for 2-4 people, which you then have to scale down. And that can get extremely annoying! Try to divide a handful of blueberries by four... Not to mention the amount of stuff you end up having to throw away, simply because you can't buy smaller amounts, but you won't need the rest for another recipe in, say, 1-2 days. One example: you use 75g green beans for a meal, but you'll have to buy more because the packets always contain at least 150g! I don't like throwing out food that is still perfectly OK, it grates me. It would've been great if the diet plans would take that into account, i.e. trying to use up leftovers for another recipe soon after. I have seen diets that do that, it's possible. A shopping list would also have been extremely helpful. In short: great book, great diet, but time-consuming and un-economic. Would've given it 5 stars otherwise.
on 9 September 2006
I also can't praise this book highly enough! It's format is appealing & straightforward. There are colour coded sections for which diet you are on ( weight loss, weight loss vegetarian, eating for energy & maintenance for life) The introduction is user friendly explaining how the process works & changing your mindset for life.

The diet itself wasn't a huge step from how we had already been eating but a step enough to change weight gain to weight loss!!!!

I had been at a loss as how to lose my weight coupled with the fact I have PCOS (where the low GI diet is encouraged) this had to be worth a try. I am also vegetarian & find buying something like this online a bit of a risk as it could arrive with a pathetic attempt at placating vegetarians in it. I was surprised! A whole section devoted to vegetarians! The recipes on the whole are delicious, nutritious & satisfying ( also includes familiar dishes like spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, mousaka & curry). Needless to say there are a couple that aren't my cup of tea but there are usually alternatives. Even my husband is happy!

Now buying a copy for everyone I know!
on 18 September 2005
This is a must for all new and old dieters, the recipes are quick and most importantly easy, it gives hints and tips all the way through, and there are menu plans - hurray !- A most for the less creative chef. each recipe is simple and easy to plan and cook, and very colourful and mouth watering, definatley a must have