on 14 March 2012
I bought this on a whim just to see what i could concoct out of near nothing really and for a start its not brilliant at that. Some of the chapters are misleading like quick meals where some of which can take up to half an hour which in my opinion isn't a 'quick' meal. Apart from that it does have some good ideas and would probably be good for someone who for one maybe hasn't really cooked before or just to learn a bit more all round about cooking certain dishes. And my last point which some people see as a plus or not a necessity is that there are no images, which doesn't really bother me but i no it can others.
One person found this helpful
on 17 December 2013
Usual use of large fonts and superfluous design to mask lack of contents. Advise trip to bookshop before purchasing this type of book.
on 16 March 2006
This book is terrific. I have this one and the veggie one, and I don't know what I'd do without them. They're simple to follow, easy to read, there are no irritating pictures to compare your dinner to, and they're tasty!
I adore cooking, but I'm not really into cooking complicated and complex food. This book is perfect. All the recipes are laid out in a way that is easy to look at, and the language used is comforting and you almost feel like you've got a friend helping you out in the kichen!
All I can say is, if you're in need of a cookbook - this is the one to buy!
22 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2016
I was bought this book about ten years ago when I moved out of the family home. 10 years later and it still has a place on my bookshelf.

It's great for experimental students and for basics that the family keep going back to! The vegetarian selection is very good for basics and most of the recipes are such that once you've gotten the basics down they're very easy to adjust.

I've made many of the recipes in this book and find them almost impossible to get wrong!

The only problem I have with this book is it has no pictures, but that's not so much of a problem that I'd mark it down for it.
review imagereview image
on 15 September 2011
This book was passed on to my husband by friends who were far too much into plain grilled meat to ever use it, but I've made thorough use of it both when we were students and now that we're not. The vegetarian dishes are delicious (my particular favorites are the chunky carrot and lentil soup, the veggie lentil bake, and the veggie burgers; a lot of the other recipes can be adapted with meat subs), and the chocolate mousse recipe has the bonus of being both veg-friendly and absolutely delicious - it is a must-make.

As a picture-cookbook-devotee, I had to dock it one star for complete lack of pictures, but I understand the want to keep the price down for students short on cash.

All in all, thoroughly recommended!
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2006
I recently bought this book for my friend who is going to uni this year. I bought it for her birthday present, so i wanted something that looked good as well as having nice recipes inside.
Although the book is classed as a paperback, it has a durable cover and inside it has glossy pages.
It is well layed out, and i was impressed with "the cocktail hour" section which we have already tried out.
I liked it so much i think i might buy one for myself!
17 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2008
I bought this book shortly after going to Uni, everything I've cooked from it has been good, and all the recipes have worked. It's not your typical student cookbook in that it doesn't completely lead you by the hand and some of the ingredient lists are a little more complicated than you find in most student books. On the other hand that's precisely why I was attracted to it, far too many of the other books I looked at seemed to suggest that preparing macaroni cheese was the zenith of student cooking. If you understand basic cooking and want something interesting to eat, student or not, then this is the book for you.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2010
I am in my final year at university and must have cooked about half of the dishes in this book. Most are very easy to make. I will be keeping this book until well after uni. I would recommend it to everyone, not just students.

The great thing about the recipes is that they don't need lots of fancy ingredients that you buy for one recipe and then never use again, which makes them a bit cheaper than other books' recipes. There are plenty of common dishes like spaghetti bolognese, chili con carne, lasagne, etc. as well as some more oriental ones in an "east is east" section. All I have tried are delicious. Most are not very expensive to make.

The book contains great advice on what cooking utensils you will need to get, cooking on a budget and some really good common sense and money saving tips.

I have also tried "The Essestial Student Cookbook", which is rubbish by comparison. Buy this one instead!
3 people found this helpful
on 8 October 2009
This is an excellent book. I bought it for my son to take to university and I ended up using it myself and had to buy him another one. I love all the 'bung it in' methods and all the ingredients are easily acquired. Good healthy meals and snacks that can all be adapted easily to suit tastes. Excellent lay out and value. Highly recommend.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 July 2009
So I'm not a student anymore but I love cooking and just wanted something straight forward that means that I can cook something which will be cheap. My hubby is a chef meaning there is kind of a lot of pressure on me when I do cook so I saw this book and decided to get it!
It's brilliant. Such a good mix of recipes and all of them so straight forward and brilliant tasting! Chicken Enchiladas is next on my list of things to make cos even my little boy will eat that. I can't wait until I'm not pregnant anymore so I can try out making some of the cocktails in the back!
Really would recommend this to absolutly anyone never mind what level of cooking your at!
2 people found this helpful