Customer reviews

on 24 June 2003
A fantastic book with clear pictures that looks at simple projects which will transform even the smallest of gardens into a haven for children whithout making it look like something out of the Teletubbies(or cost a fortune)!
Projects include a fold away playhouse, mini-trampoline, zany garden furniture, a superb spider's web cargo net, sailboat sandpit, garden games as well as creative and imaginative ways to introduce children (both boys and girls) to gardening and nature without it looking boring!
The book gives simple instructions and material lists to create each project(although an estimate of time and cost whould have been an added bonus-but with so many fantistic ideas I almost feel embarrased to grumble).
Unlike other gardening books which may dedicate a few pages to childrens play in the garden, this book provides chapter after chapter and idea after idea on ways to make your garden more kid friendly. Within one week of having this book I have recommended it to several friends and already started on three of the projects which even my husband loves! Its a win-win situation all round- my husband is happy to do some gardening, the kids get somewhere nice to play and I feel that the garden is a safer and prettier place to be with the children!
What more can I say other than if you have kids (or run a child-care facility)and want them to enjoy the outdoors (even if its only a window box) then buy this book!
on 24 July 2006
This book has proved to be a great source of inspiration. I especially liked the grass stools and have 2 either side of my toddlers play house in the garden. The children love to sit on these as they are just the right height and offer something different e.g. colour and texture.

I have also created one for a friends daughters 2nd birthday.

There are lots of ideas for a range of ages and seasons, some simple and some a bit more adventurous - something to keep you busy right through the year.

Introducing children to the garden is a great way of developing the senses and this book is a great help in encouraging lots of outdoor play & activity.

Nicely presented, great photo's and clear, easy instructions to follow. A must for anyone who enjoys the garden.I can't wait to start on my next project !
on 16 September 2005
This books is filled with many great ideas for your garden with will stimulate your child. The projects are small to medium and don't cover stuff like how to build a large play system for your child. The picture a great and it give you ideas of what you can do with your garden whatever the size.
on 6 April 2010
This book has provided me with lots of ideas on how to transform my garden into a playground for my 18 month old boy. While not every idea will work because I live in a very exposed area, it is possible to adapt ideas and make them work. Hopefully all the hard work will in the garden will be worthwhile.
on 18 April 2012
A really interesting book full of wonderful ideas that you can adapt to your own area.Beautiful pictures and makes you want to get outside
on 27 December 2014
This book has fantastic ideas for creating child friendly gardens
on 21 December 2015
Great book!
on 3 June 2013
I purchased this book as I am looking at 'merging' child-friendly, edible and an adult garden.

The idea's in this book are just basic ideas, which are good ideas but it does not offer 'merging' ideas as I am seeking.