Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2014
Used during my MSc. Found it very helpful - some of the websites I've looked for help with before are aimed at people who really know that they are doing with R, whereas this was at the right level for me. I found the sections explaining the results of GLMs particularly useful. I only wish I'd bought it sooner - t would have been so useful!
on 26 July 2011
Simply put, one of the best R starters around. What you get here are recipes for most common problems you will face while working with R. This book is an extended version of 25 Recipes for Getting Started with R. However, the coverage of material is different. While 25 Recipes focus on getting started with R, R Cookbook penetrates the subject in greater details and goes beyond simple usage of R. You will find here not only how to load data, manipulate it and plot some graphic. You can find description of various statistical analysis as well.

This book, is not for a reading in bed just before you go to sleep. It is too pragmatic. Simple definition of the problem and just after that, simple solution - that's what you get when it comes to each issue covered within the book. This is the strength of R Cookbook. On the other hand, it's weakness. If you cant find the question within table of contents it might be hard to get the answer for what you ask about. As I like pragmatic approach, I like the book as well. For me it's just perfect. Well, maybe just too short.
on 9 August 2011
I have bought a lot of books on R, some are great others less so. I must have 20 different recent books. This is the one I inevitably grab from my shelf whenever I am going away/to work/on a train whatever, because there is just so much relevant, bite-sized stuff that I can use every day. Recipes which are general enough to be applicable in different areas, but specific enough that the light up that "eureka" light bulb because you've suddenly discovered something that will have proper utility in your code.

Now I am a 3-months R "beginner" (though an accomplished Python programmer), so I'd hesitate to say that it's extremely advanced, but it certainly covers a lot of relevant material for quite advanced tasks. Of course, being a "cookbook", it doesn't delve much into the fundamental underpinnings of some of R's core technical foundations - it's more about useful stuff, now.

For anybody who's been flummoxed by the often-cryptic R online documentation, this is the book for you.
The R statistical analysis tool has much to recommend it to students, researchers, and commercial data analysts. It contains a powerful set of analysis and graphics commands and a constantly-growing number of add-on packages produced by its large user community. R and most of its add-ons are also available for free under an open source license. It is a realistic and readily available rival to major commercial tools such as SAS and SPSS.

As with everything, there is a downside. R is accessed through a command line interface, has an overwhelming number of commands, and its syntax is difficult to learn and remember. R users, especially novices, will find this cookbook of tremendous help. It contains many brief sections, each of which lists example R code for a specific analysis task.

Tasks supported range from downloading and installing R through more complex data analysis. The sections I found most useful were:

- Finding Relevant Functions and Packages
- Performing Matrix Operations
- Editing a Data Frame
- Generating Reproducible Random Numbers
- Plotting Multiple Data Sets
- Predicting a Binary-Valued Variable (Logistic Regression)

Paul Teetor has produced a well-organized and useful reference book. The sections are straightforward and the example R code is no more complex than necessary. The explanations in each sections are instructive, yet concise. Numerous cross-links between sections allow readers to understand related tasks when writing more complex code. There are even a few sections on common R error messages and useful programming tricks. I recommend this book to anyone working with R who already has some background in data analysis with one or more other software tools.

Note: The book comes with an offer from the published to purchase upgrades as new versions are released. This seems like a good idea, but I have no experience with this from O'Reilly.
on 20 December 2014
Really useful book to have. I don't really like reading coding books but would rather play and learn. As such this book is ideal as there are small snippets of code to experiment with. Find myself dipping in to it to try out a feature without having to wade through large amount of text.
on 6 October 2011
Having recently had to do some statistical analysis, I came across R, a seriously powerful tool for querying and analysing data.

The R cookbook helped me as a newbie to R to quickly get to grips with the requirements and considerations for its use.

If you know what you are looking for the cookbook format is a great way to access information. The recipes are easy to follow and are a great help in getting to the solution quickly while providing enough detail to explain the problem and solution sufficently.

If you want know more about 'R' this is the book to read.
on 19 March 2015
Good book at a certain phase of learning about R. However, as the learning curve concerning R is reputed to be steep, climbing certain of the R 'rock faces' this books is useful. Moreover, it is not expensive.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2015
saves my life as a geneticist with R