Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(5 star). See all 51 reviews
on 3 September 2010
With books of this type I suppose that the satisfaction derived is a question of how much you learn and I learnt a lot! Suffice to say that this is the only time I have taken the trouble to write a review but this book really merits one. It is well written, well structured and has exactly what I needed. The examples are very good and are easy to implement in a real situation. The support on the publisher's web is also excellent.
on 24 December 2009
Love the book. Am pretty new to web-design. Only worked through "Build your own website the right way", which gives a good foundation in both XHTML and CSS, but was looking for more info on CSS.

The missing manual provides just that in an easy to follow way. Love it. I might yet turn into a computer geek if I can find more manuals like this one.
on 7 June 2011
This book has been at my side since I bought it recently, unlike others which gather dust.
The writing is superb, the technical content pitched equally between reference and tutorial.
Never one for the step by step approach of tutorials, I found myself using this approach and gaining real understanding of a topic, and crucially, usable CSS at the end.
The price is very, very good too. If you want to demystify CSS, buy this book.
on 15 August 2011
I am a self taught web designer with a print design background who has always struggled to get sites looking right using old school table layouts. This book has shown me the error of my ways and I'm a CSS convert now!

The book is really well written both for the absolute beginner and for someone like me with a little knowledge. I particularly like the way it builds your knowledge through the chapters, starting with simple concepts and moving on to more complex information. It also explains, in layman's terms, why you should use CSS.

The tutorials are really useful, the book is well written, humourous without trying too hard or being patronising and the author even suggests where you may be able to skim a section if it has little relevance in the 'real world'. There is a nice balance between the stuff which helps you create attractive pages and the necessary techie info around different browsers, page validation
On the whole thoroughly good purchase and would recommend. I don't often give things top marks, but this book does exactly what it sets out to do.
on 3 March 2010
You know you pull the string on a flourescent(strip) light, it flashes a few times before the light comes on. Well, my CSS has been at the flickering stage for a while but now the light has come on! (Oh, thats how they do it.)
I have been a fan of the missing manuals since Dreamweaver 8 and they have moved me from complete beginner (and I really mean zero knowledge) to probably intermediate designer/ developer.
Great humour. Easy to read. logical structure. tips, boxes and references that enable you to skim through on a superficial level for basic understanding then go back for more detail. The external links/ reference are fantastic( I usually highlight them/ bookmark them as I go for future ref.)
I tend not to follow the tutorials exactly but use them more as a guide for my own building. Online resource is outstanding. Just found the Xampp set up pages that are so simple - took me ages using other sources.
CSS Missing Manual is compulsory reading. Don't leave as long as I did.
on 12 November 2009
This book has got it all! Learnt more in a week than I thought possible! From the basics to tricks I had seen done but could never get my head around how they were done! All written in an easy to absorb style that encourages experiment but still holds your hand though the trickier bits. This is one of several "Missing Manuals" that I have read, Microsoft Project 2007,Photoshop CS4,Dreamweaver CS4, all seem to have managed a far better job than the official manuals. CSS, of course, has no official manual --- until now!
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2011
This book is well put together and has some great examples. It completely explains the correct way to format web pages. You can skim through it and get a lot of useful information, or you can go through all the examples via the online source code and really experience the learning process.

I had a good few "Ahh that's how you do that" and "Ahh, that's why it didn't work properly..." moments when just skimming the book.

If you don't already know absolutely everything about styling web pages using CSS, you'll be really glad you read this book.
on 9 May 2010
I have to say, I absolutely love this book. It's just so insightful, even for those who might think they already know enough CSS. It even goes as far as to provide a brief recap of the HTML basics to get any total newbies started, but it does assume you know at least some HTML prior to reading.

If you're thinking about getting into CSS, or even if you just want to improve upon what you already know (the book includes an entire section on CSS3 AND loads of fixes for Internet Explorer throughout), then I really can't recommend this book enough.
on 23 February 2011
i have never written a review for a book before.. but after reading this book i feel that i have to write some reviews. it is the least thing i can do...

This book is must for everyone who want to get involve with web design. i really like the tutorials and how the author explains them.. i feel more confidence now and i have learnt a lot of tips for css and web design.

Definitely one of the best books i have ever read
on 19 September 2011
With CSS I was tempted to think i could figure it all out for myself, but conceded and brought this book. This book clearly explained all the features of css and many common problems. It also talks you through different layouts and different approaches to these layouts. from knowing almost nothing about CSS I now feel confident in structuring fairly complex websites. brilliant book.