Customer reviews

on 2 August 2006
In this fantastically detailed book, Eric Meyer explains the basics of css and systematically elaborates on each css property, their scope, and values. Whilst the book is not designed to be read as a guide or an introduction, it does make an excellent reference for those times when you need definitive information on a particular css property.

If you're looking to learn about css, I wouldn't recommend relying on this book alone; buy yourself a real beginner's guide, and maybe get this as a reference tool for when you need to clarify something. As I learnt more about css, I found often found myself flicking through the book and having moments of realisation when paragraph or two would clarify something I'd read elsewhere. That's the sign of a good reference book.

Some people may find the book a little heavy going to begin with. I don't think the book has been designed with the intention that the reader go through it cover to cover in one go. I found that reading a lot of the book at once left me with a lot of questions: these were answered through practical experience with css, and through other, less detailed, introductions. However, I do feel as though the difficulties I had were a result of my lack of understanding rather than any real problem with the book itself; it's still the one book I'll turn to when the others don't answer my questions.

All in all, this is a great book: it won't walk you through your first steps in css, but it does provide exactly what you need when you're lost and need some real answers. If you're new to css, pair this book up with a well-rated introductory text, and you'll be all set to go. For those who have some practical css experience, I'd recommend this as a great reference tool, without hesitation.
on 31 January 2008
Computer text books are rarely as clear, comprehensive and easy to use as this one. Well written, good indexing and well thought out examples.

I went from zero knowledge to being totally at home with CSS using just this book and the odd web search.
on 19 June 2008
Eric Meyer is chief aiuthority in this field and this book was perfect for what I needed to know on CSS for part of my degree project on accessibility and tableless design.
on 28 November 2007
The book is big and I think not meant to be read but taken as a reference instead. Basically it is very helpful when you need to fix a display issue or find the exact meaning of any CSS attribute. What I like is the accuracy and the amount of information you can find in this book. I would recommend it for any web developer working on very recent web designs.
on 23 June 2010
This is a good book for understanding how CSS works, but I would not use it as a handbook. The O'Reilly books have a poor binding and are black and white,they are also not so well laid out as other technical books.I would buy Eric Meyer on CSS (Voices (New Riders)) and More Eric Meyer on CSS (Voices That Matter) if you want to be shown how to create a css menu and other practical applications of CSS, but I think there might be better books in this area.
on 22 November 2015
I have read several books now on CSS, but I rate this one as one of the best - although it is quite heavy at times, it is worth pursuing as it gives a thorough grounding in the real technicalities of CSS.
This edition is somewhat dated now - not covering CSS3 and its application to HTML5, maybe worth buying a cheaper secondhand edition for now.
On Eric Meyers website he says he is working on the new edition of this book but not due out until mid 2016.

Highly recommended.
on 21 December 2010
This is a great book. Really easy to understand the rules of CSS. I recommend to everyone who wants to learn CSS.
on 17 October 2012
As all O'Reilly books, extremely detailed well organized and comprehensive. Written in a manner that's easy to understand. Recommended for anyone looking to expand their knowledge on the subject.
on 17 March 2015
Excellent. Quite readable and good reference. I bought it because I had tinkered with CSS and copied bits that other people had done but never really got to grips with it.
on 22 November 2015
Comprehensive and up-to-date. Well laid out and well written.