Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now

on 31 March 2006
Explains by example so many common queries you'll be able to solve a wide variety of problems instantly. SQL is a deceptively deep language and getting to grips with this small army of queries gives you the basics to build on.
Easy reading and sensible examples. Some omissions (insert) but it's not the complex stuff - that part is really taught well.
on 14 May 2008
A few pages past the table of contents, I had solved two issues that had been bugging me since my last install. It was pretty minor stuff, but could I as heck find the answers online. It just shows what research, presentation, and quality control can achieve. So, another score for books over bytes.

The layout is uncluttered, and you can usually get the gist without reading through pages of preamble and exposition. The examples are practical and adaptable (no long and complex routines found on some sites) so they can almost be cut and pasted into your own applications. As your applications develop, there's always something else you can add.

The only downside is that it's a book - a few mods to MySQL and you might have to fork out for the next revision. Still, I should have got my money's worth by then.
on 9 December 2010
It is not for the complete beginner, but you don't have to be too far off to get some real benefit from using this book.

The discussions about why you would use a particular technique are excellent too.

In my opinion it is great. I bought it and I am still using it.
on 18 October 2010
I like the style of the book which tackles the problems encountered rather than introducing theories chapter by chapter.

The reason I gave it a 4 is that it didn't cover some more advanced skills for database admin such as database management and securities.
on 10 October 2013
This book was a great starter when I got into MySQL and has been the foundation for all my projects and knowledge of MySQL. A great and useful book.
on 11 September 2015
great book - perfectly structured in sections of native mysql and various interfaces for Perl, Python, PHP etc
on 20 October 2014
good product. good price.