on 6 September 2015
I came from a finance/Accounting background and found myself working as a Data Analyst. So, I had an urgent need to learn all about relational databases and manipulation of data using SQL. I initially attended a two day course on SQL and came back with an information overload and some nice looking PowerPoint sheets....learned nothing.
I discovered this book on Amazon and I also bought a kindle version, Which is fantastic, as it suits my extremely busy days. I have it on my tablet and iPhone and I am able to read/learn every chance I get ...on the trains and even at lunch time at work.

I am finding this book so easy to read and I just keep learning ... The animations are so good as it helps me remember the main point. I particularly love the "there are no dumb questions" bits, because it always nearly gets my thoughts exactly and clarifies issues the learner may be quizzed about!
The bit about NULLs is so good that I have never understood why a null is not just a blank or a space...until now.its solo funny bcos the NULL says "I have got values to be". How can u ever forget what youbhave learned when it is taught to you in Jokes???.

I am only on chapter 5 out of 12... but I am already writing T-SQL queries on Microsoft SQL server,even though the language of the book is MySQL ( ...yes it is that good, that I am able to adapt whet I have learned to another RDBMS...)

Yes people have said it is good for beginners... But yes even as a pro... It will be a good refresher/ reference book!!! I am definitely going to keep mine!

Thank you Lynn... Great job!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

PS:: Do u know any VBA? I could do with a headfirst book on VBA too... all the ones I have seen so far are too tetchy and boring😁😁😁
on 10 September 2016
If you're brand new to SQL, this might be for you, but it only gives you a basic and rudimentary understanding of the language and SQL concepts. It doesn't feel targeted and in depth enough but this could be beneficial for those for whom learning simple queries is adequate. If you plan on becoming a SQL developer or writing serious SQL code, do not buy this.
on 5 April 2017
It was recommended to me, but unfortunately it is chaotic from my point of view. It is very subjective assessment because I like structured knowledge, simply served. This book is exactly opposite. For example, if you would like to find a simple answer to a question...forget about it. You'll be taken through meanders of many things, examples, pages overloaded with 'funny' pictures, graphs etc. I believe that there are people who like this style so,
I strongly recommend to have a glimpse to it before buying.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 June 2017
Does what it says on the tiger!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 September 2011
This is a good narrated book for those trying to learn SQL. I would like to stress that this book will not be good for people that are experienced in SQL, and for those who need reference material - as this book lacks a detailed contents section. Finally, it is important to note that the SQL in this book is targeted at MySQL and the related table joins use latest ANSI standards e.g. INNER JOIN, OUTER JOIN instead of =, *=, =* etc.
on 19 June 2010
If you're just starting out on the SQL road and you don't mind being taught like you are a five year old (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), then this book is a must. This book is written in a way that literally anyone can understand. The trickiest part is having to download the RDBMS. In this respect the book is slightly wayward with its instructions, however, in the authors' defence they do clearly say you should follow the website's instructions as installation procedures may change.
on 17 February 2009
Ok, maybe the title of my comment is not exactly 100% true :) - But boy I feel like I will be just after reading this book for the past 2 weeks. I LOVE the style of Head First books and the way it makes me feel I am being taught by a cool and funny teacher that "holds my hand" learning this book and doesn't just let me get on with it and fend for myself.

This book has me laughing as well as learning and it is such a breath of fresh air to study a book about programming that has some humor in it and is not boring like so many others out there.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book... Now!!
on 21 July 2013
I recently starting a job in software support where one of the main tasks is supporting SQL databases. I picked up Head First SQL a month before I started and was able to learn all of the basic concepts in a short time which enabled me to start the role confident and able to carry out any of the database tasks which I am given.

When I first saw the book I will admit I was a bit taken aback by the comic style and silly drawings. These do actually help to analogise the concepts and you do actually learn without realising. You also learn SQL properly. I'm able to explain to all my more experienced colleagues the logic behind all the queries we do. Some of them have no idea I only learnt the language two months ago.

My only criticism is that the book is now a bit old so could do with a new edition to update the changes that have been made to MySQL. For example the appendix on installing MySQL is now out of date.

All in all a great learning tool for SQL which is aimed at beginners or people with no previous knowledge. You'll learn SQL incredibly well. You may not know all the operators and reserved words but you'll get great confidence and ability with the language. Most importantly it does not feel like work to read and I was surprised how easy and quickly I worked through it.
on 2 April 2014
I already knew some SQL (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, WHERE clauses and left table JOIN) but this book is still incredibly useful. I'm halfway through and I finally understand normal tables and NULL. Definitely not for advanced SQL users and not particularly well structured as a reference guide, but if you just want to *learn* then this book does a fantastic job.
on 31 October 2014
3 years on and I'm working in a financial organisation deploying b2b db driven lending analysis software to the big banks and businesses. My pay has doubled and to think it all started as an office Jr reading this fantastic book on the train. Couldn't be happier.