Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2009
As a career scientist I have always been fascinated by important discoveries, inventions and places where significant scientific work took place.

Travel guides may mention such places if they happen to be in the vicinity of other well known (non-scientific) sites, monuments, buildings, etc, but other than that it can difficult to find information about just places of scientific importance.

Imagine my delight when the 'Geek Atlas' appeared only listing sites around the world of special scientific interest, whats more giving a scientific rationale of the importance of the discovery or place and a description of the scientific principle involved.

Although the book details the top 128 sites around the world in the opinion of the author I would say that over three quarters of these would be included in any 'geeks' list of top scientific locations. For this reason the Geek Atlas is in my opinion an absolute jewel. It is well structured, well written, amazingly interesting and incredibly educating.

The bottom line is that if you travel and are interested in science and technology I just can't recommend this book strongly enough.
on 7 June 2009
Every time I put this down someone else picks it up and I have to fight the bugger for it. So do yourself a favour and buy two. Very indepth on 128 (like it, 128 - get it?) places that have a technical history in our world. No one 'place' more than 3 or four pages (I think?) so good for quick knowledge and plenty of leads should you want to go in deeper on the net maybe.

Great book.
on 13 June 2009
Just like the previous reviewer I wish I'd bought two copies of this superb book. My wife and I keep grabbing our copy and every time we find something fascinating to dip into. OK it's a travel book but it's equally a neat source, in digestible chunks, of all sorts of fascinating science, technology and maths information.
The book contains "sidebars" of background material developing in some depth a scientific fact/piece of information with relevance to the recommended location.
I'd recommend this book not only to "geeks" but to anyone like me with even a passing interest in the world of science and technology. You don't even need to be a dedicated traveller to get satisfaction from The Geek Atlas - it's a GREAT read as a book - not just a travel book. Highly recommended.
on 20 June 2009
I soon became hooked once I started to dip into this wonderful book. First I looked up all the places I had visited already and found out what I had missed. I will pay more attention the next time I walk under Brunel's great iron ship the SS Great Britain in Bristol. I had no idea a propeller could be so fascinating!
Then I moved on to places I have never been to. At first I enjoyed picking out nuggets of information which caught my eye in a quite random fashion. Then I started to relish the links such as weaving machines and computers, Babbage and Ada Lovelace, Byron's sister.
It is a book you can appreciate without having a background in Maths or Science. In fact I failed all those subjects at school but this book has sparked an interest which I never thought I would experience. Highly recommended.
on 8 December 2012
While the list of places detailed in this book is both interesting and relevant. One of the most interesing parts of the book is the descriptions of the science and engineering behind some of the world's most interesting inventions. These descriptions are crafted in a way that's easy to read, simple to understand and really informative :)
on 26 February 2010
A Christmas Present and on new owners Amazzon Wish List. An ideal way to get a presant that is wanated.