on 3 April 2011
I am not sure if any of the other reviewers have worked through the samples on this book but if they did I would be curious how many of them worked.

Firstly the Amazon API has changed drastically so the example for that chapter will not work at all. Secondly the book makes extensive use of the wsgen and wsimport utilities. For many of these he requires that you use EndPoint.Publish to create the wsdl. Then all of a sudden wsgen I think is to be used. This is not mentioned.

The examples are certainly not step by step and have large gaps in them. Usually I take it for granted that O'Reilly books are of a certain quality. This is very poor. Possibly if you download the source code from the web site they will be of a better quality, this is something I am just doing now after making it to page 108 and having yet another example only partially work.

Having compared my code to the sample. Well I would say the code works but it does not describe the steps to run them...Create a Publisher routine for each Example..have it running...keep it running when running wsimport.. wsgen...Concepts could be explained better. Hopefully it will help when taking the Java WS Exam
on 22 March 2009
This book is great to get started with SOA and Java. It has plenty of examples, is clear, shows different solutions and is easy to read. A few things I would have liked to see: examples of how SOAP & REST work together and how to choose between the two (it is VERY briefly discussed). One small issue is that it looks like the writer tried to fill space by copying the same source code across several pages. I think snippets would be just as useful. Last item: the book heavily discusses how to use ant/ compilers to generate code. Alas, there is no discussion of how to use each technology with an IDE (eclipse or any other).
on 22 December 2009
This is more of a footnote to the previous review, rather than a review as such. Helpful anyhow, I hope. The author mentions in his preamble that he has deliberately avoided assuming that the reader is using an IDE (and the variety of IDEs available could confuse matters anyhow). The reason he gives is that IDEs take care of a lot of the nitty gritty for us, which is nice, but in a book for learning the nitty gritty it is better to confront it in all its detail. That way we don't let the ever-so-helpful IDE de-skill us. It's only like pilots wanting to land the plane by skill rather than by wire.
on 9 May 2013
The book is well written and covers both the history of Web Services, the evolution of Web Services and how to use create and use Web Services – from basic to quite complex. It focuses on java 6 where things are much easier than they were on previous versions.
Both of my issues may be irrelevant to other readers so apologies if you my ‘mark’ is not helpful. Firstly, I read the book on the Kindle and to be quite frank the code examples are impossible to follow. I found myself trying to follow the examples from the downloaded code, which rather invalidates the reason for the book. I thought of copying the Kindle onto my lap top so I could read them there but I was bitten by the copyright bug. Secondly, the book tries to be all things to all people. Most developers don’t need to understand the WSDL structure in detail, but the book explains it, in detail. It also avoids all IDEs which in practice developers will use. A better approach may have been to cover creating the Web Services manually and the basics of the WSDL and the SOAP Envelope, then doing the more complex stuff in an IDE and finally ending with a detailed look at the WSDL, which most developers could skip over or read as reference. But I very worth book all the same
on 17 June 2010
The book is very concise-to-the point tutorial to have Java web-services up and running.

I didn't feel comfortable with the style of the author, and with the book layout which is pretty static and does not highlight the important concept for a fast reading for users which have already some experience.

The code snippets quality is general high, and they cover a broad range of practical problems which often go beyond web services per se, such ssl connections (things you must deal with in real life).

The code example are not all in Java, there are a few in perl, to prove real ws interoperability.

Overall a good book. I would suggest it to buy it.
on 10 September 2013
Just picked this up again after a few years.
Although old now this book contains just about the right mix of how and what.
It contrasts the various ways of writing web services and correlates the annotation flags with what is actually going on.
So it details the various styles of message, DOCUMENT vs RPC (as in SOAPBindings) and how these relate to what you are doing in JAX-WS.
It shows the various levels at which you can get write web services from servlet to session bean, and the same on the client.
It does this in a vendor independent fashion.
Of course it doesn't cover the higher level specs like WS-AT but...

If you want to start to understand what is happening behind some of the frameworks its a good place to start.