Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 21 April 2014
When I first heard the title, my immediate response was "Must be a very small book!"

And it is, but it's jam-packed with Good Stuff.

If you're somebody who's picked up JS as you went along and learned to hate it as you went, this is the book that will show you a beautiful, powerful, and remarkably flexible language with no shortcomings that can't be worked around.
on 13 August 2017
Every JavaScript developer with a pre-existing working knowledge of JavaScript should read this book. JavaScript is a powerful and varied language, but it was developed in a hurry and there’s plenty wrong with it. This book outlines the good bits of the language and highlights the bad bits and the bits you should just avoid. There’s also a fair amount about the author’s JSLint project in the appendices.

This book was written in 2008 and probably needs updating. It’s hard going in places and the diagrams did little to nothing to help my understanding. I’ve come away still wondering about new and constructors, but I know I just need to review them again when I need them and it’ll get clearer. I’m still not sure which function declaration syntax is best, but I’m not sure it matters too much.
on 1 August 2014
Most programmers wouldn't believe Javascript has good parts! but Douglas Crockford does a great job highlighting them!
I bought this book and 2 others "Javascript the definitive guide" & "Javascript Patterns", as far as I am concerned these books are essential reading for any programmer!

These 3 books hold, the dubious honour, of being the only 3 programming books I have actually read cover to cover.
This book, is great, as I initally skim read this book over a lazy saturday afternoon, while drinking beer while sitting in sun lounger. Not something I often associate with tech books! I also watched some of the Douglas Crockfords videos on YouTube, which are great addendums, and a must.

I have re-read this book several times since, as I my journey into Javascript has progressed. The trilogy of javascript books has not left my Desktop, and I find myself refering to them time and again!

Douglas Crockfords style and approach to this book is just right! Easy to follow, and for a tech book a real page turner.
on 7 January 2015
I highly, highly recommend this book. It was recommended to be by a friend after a code review of some JavaScript I had written and I found this book to be chock-full of immediately useful ideas and practices. Occasionally, I did find the author's recommendations to be a bit parochial, such as his assertion that you should always curly brackets (I know, I know, here we go again :) but they never obfuscated his intention: how to write better JavaScript.

With JavaScript enjoying a renaissance of sorts in these days, this book is more relevant than ever. JavaScript gives you so much rope to hang yourself by, you owe it to yourself to read this book and learn how you can cheat the hangman.
on 23 November 2013
Douglas Crockford always manages to present the JavaScript language in an enjoyable, correct and historically relevant manner. The first surprise from the book is how few pages there are but this is a benefit because it reflects the JS language itself, allowing you to write very short functional code which can be built on to produce complex applications. The rail-road diagrams showing the language is a worthwhile addition to the book.

I suggest for real JavaScript beginners that they also check out the online Yahoo videos of Douglas Crockford's talks to help put the book into perspective and help provide greater detail of how JavaScript is different from other programming languages.
on 26 April 2016
I'm doing the Udacity JavaScript basics course, and this is the perfect counterbalance to their experience-based teaching style, as it provides the rigour and details my learning style needs. For example, the railroad diagrams in teh first chapter or two were exactly what I needed to understand some of the basics. There's no superfluous text and, like the title says, just the good parts. Easy to read and you can dip into it. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 13 May 2015
This came recommended by the management in the company as the book to get to start learning about JavaScript and it certainly fills that role admirably and can certainly lay claim to the status of being the standard text for such a purpose. It won't in itself of course turn you into an expert, being more about the bares bones and not so much detail about patterns and practices - for the next stage I have turned to JavaScript Patterns.
on 26 June 2016
Im a developer by profession and this book save me on the first day of purchase. I had an error i was struggling with and realised the answer was in the book. Excellent book. I would say this book is for people who know a little of javascript and would like to ensure that the code they write is top notch stuff. If you are using javascript or would like to compliment what you know then this the right book for you. It is not a thick book it surprisingly short but jam pack with key points.
on 10 April 2016
This book has 170-odd pages as against over 1000 for the so-called definitive guide. Interim conclusion? Roughly 17% of Javascript is worth using - so it's *very* useful to have a book that identifies the good bits.
on 27 July 2014
Totally changed how I thought of JavaScript. I now feel like I can think comfortably in "the good parts" subset, and write code which I can understand later, which is clean, clear, and much less error-prone. I'm a Python programmer most of the time, but this book made me feel as if I could write JS all day if I needed to without getting too overly frustrated with the warts of "the bad parts".

Very worth while reading, even if you only do a small amount of JS.