on 30 December 2010
"Programming is difficult business," says Douglas Crockford in the opening chapter. "It should never be undertaken in ignorance." It dawns on me as I read on, I have been struggling with JavaScript for years in ignorance.

JavaScript is not like other languages, it requires a different programming paradigm. I knew of JavaScript's prototypal and functional nature, but I hadn't ever grasped the power of lexical scoping, closure and object literals covered here.

Another common struggle with JavaScript is its faults. "Quality was not a motivating concern in the design, implementation, or standardization of JavaScript," says Crockford. "That puts a greater burden on the users of the language to resist the language's weaknesses." This book describes a subset of JavaScript that we can use safely and that keeps its elegance, flexibility and highly expressive power.

And there is more: A brief reference to standard JavaScript methods, a chapter on Style that makes the case for well written code, a detailed examination of Regular Expressions that made my head hurt, diagrammatic documentation of JavaScript grammar and syntax, and invaluable references to JSLint (a code quality tool) and JSON (the data interchange format).

All of this in 176 pages.

I became a fan of Douglas Crockford's work after watching his excellent "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series online. Five lectures changed the way I think about JavaScript. I was delighted to receive a free copy of JavaScript: The Good Parts as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program and to have the opportunity to explore this topic further and put my thoughts together.
on 1 January 2015
I re-read it several times to make sure I hadn't missed out, and my javascript code has gone from flimsy to solid ever since.
on 14 December 2016
Probably the most useful javascript book printed - its just a shame that javascript sucks - looking at you crockford!
on 18 August 2013
Pretty handy book to have around and read every now and then. Very useful for the current "JS golden age".
on 9 February 2010
I bought this book to learn JavaScript as a beginner but appearantly this was a bad idea. This is absolute not a book for beginners! However due the good comments about this book from JavaScript programmers, I don't regret buying this book to take a look next year when I know the basic principles of JavaScript!

Christophe
on 5 October 2011
This is not a beginner's text. Don't buy pick this book if you think you need to learn to program. This book assumed you are already fluent in at least a couple of other programming languages (principally C++ and Java), and that you are already comfortable with the principles behind object-oriented and functional programming languages. If you tick all these boxes, then this is the book for you. It doesn't start with a Hello World program: it goes straight into the syntax of the language (with fast-to-read railroad diagrams), data structures and branches and conditions. If you are an experienced software developer, then this book contains everything you need to pick up JavaScript in an afternoon. If you are a beginner, then this book will cause you nothing but pain and misery.

This book only contains JavaScript. Nothing else. No HTML, AJAX, no DOM, no CSS, no PHP. It will not teach you to build dynamic web pages. It will not teach you to form GET or POST statements. That is why it is only 150 pages.
on 13 June 2014
Small book with a lot of info. Takes reading over many times. I think I'll always have it for reference.
on 15 May 2009
I bought this having watched Douglas Crockford's excellent tutorials on the Yahoo! website. He certainly is an authority on JavaScript and a very clever man. However, that cleverness appears to have resulted in this book lacking explanation.

I've spent ages looking in the index for things, referring to the page listed, finding that what I looked for was mentioned there but then discovering (searching by hand) that it was described better earlier on (or, worse, later) in the book. I've got a very solid understanding of JavaScript already having used it for many years (indeed, many of the caveats I had already worked out myself), but I am really struggling to get any further understanding of JavaScript from this book!

When I read a book I like to have things I already know confirmed: it makes me feel comfortable and like I know what's going on. With this book, I've often found myself hoping that I was following an explanation, but not at all confident that I was. With difficult, alien [to me] concepts like pseudo-classical and prototypal inheritance, I need lots of explanation and lots of examples. Perhaps having fewer pages was of higher importance than clear descriptions.

Perhaps it would be better to read this book from cover to cover; perhaps my using it as a reference book is inappropriate. I'm sure the index should be better though!

So my advice: perhaps use this book to learn JavaScript (learn from the best!), but don't expect to have much success using it for reference.
on 8 April 2015
read this book through, good as a guide to get started on javascript and also for future reference.
on 25 July 2014
A fantastic resource for javascript developers a book you'll come back to again and again..