Customer reviews

on 15 March 2017
Tad bit outdated. I think you might be better off watching YouTube videos.
on 10 May 2017
Having previous programming experience is needed to get the best out of this book. Its not for complete beginners. Also note the version here is the 2nd edition from 2005. It covers version 5.0 and the current version is 8.0 with Java 9.0 due for release in July 2017.

You will learn a lot from this book, especially if you do the exercise at the end of each chapter.
on 17 September 2016
Nice book, but returned, as too old for current Implementation
on 21 April 2017
A good book to learn Java with :-)

I've just finished working through the whole book and think I now understand Java enough to start writing a project that I've been thinking about doing for years.

This book uses different learning styles to help you remember and get it to stick.Do the exercises and the consolidation "homework" at the end of each chapter and it *does* help.
on 24 November 2016
90% of this book is excellent for beginners. It's structured well and the "silly pictures" do help you retain more information. It's the best java book I've ever read.

Having said this, I'd strongly recommend you stay away from the POOL Puzzle at the end of each chapter. It will crush your soul. It's unnecessarily hard and virtually impossible for a beginner. In my current profession I write learning material and this is absolutely awful, demoralising and just plain evil.

I'd be sacked if I wrote material like this. It took me a few chapters to get over this kick in the teeth every 30 pages or so. I stopped attempting them after chapter 4 and never looked back.

If you want to learn Java, buy this book and follow my advice above.
on 12 January 2017
Good book
on 12 January 2011
This is the first technical book I've ever bought and I was a bit unsure if I'd be able to teach myself Java without the aid of a lecturer, but as soon as I read the first few pages I was sure I'd be able to.

First of all, it's encouraging to see that new ways of teaching have emerged. The writers (and the whole team of course) know how to keep you interested using the latest studies in metacognition (thinking about thinking). It's what makes this book interesting. It's not dry. It's not boring. It's just like reading an interesting story with lots of stupid/nerdy jokes, but with the implementation of Java code always in mind.

As a reader, I came from a C++ background (beginner though) and I have to say that I could finally grasp concepts that I never really understood while studying C++. References, Stacks, Heaps: everything comes beautifully together with the writers' memorable graphs, stupid jokes etc. By reading this book, not only did I learn the Java language, but I also feel that I've learned much as a programmer in general (because every language has references, stacks, heaps etc).

A highly recommended book for anyone who wants to learn Java.

Hint: if you buy this book, you can register it at Oreilly's website and buy the book for the insignificant fee of $6. Quite useful if you have a tablet or an eBook reader etc.
on 2 January 2006
I'm learning Java, moving from 8 years C++ experience. Thus much of this book covers already familiar concepts such as OO and some of the basic syntax. however rather than finding these bits dragging and skipping over them I find myself rocketing through it, hunting for the new nuggests and differences in there and enjoying the learning experience!
The style is so distinctive and effectively alternates presentation and sub-set of the chapter's subject matter on a page by page basis. Thus as the book moves into newer territory its style prevents boredom and the "frequent coffee break syndrome". I find that the non linear and slightly "hopscotch" method of changing presentation styles, fore-shadowing areas to come and going over old ground in different ways is excellent.
Overall the progress through the book is good, though i find each chapter's progress varable. The chapters are effectively the smallest area of work - you really need to complete the chapter at the end of the day (for me anyway); however leaving the exercises till the next day is good revision!
Not sure whether it's java, this book, or both but I have more of a grin programming during learning from this book than ever before! Obviously it brings out the hidden geek in me!
I would say that anyone with some programming experience would find this book excellent. those with very little or none would probably find it hard - however still the best I've seen! What this book is NOT is a reference text - it's aim, basically, is a tutorial and thus precludes it's use as reference.
Have fun!
on 23 July 2016
Item arrives within expected time frame. The item was well packaged and arrived undamaged. As well as good delivery the product itself is very good. This is a very well-known book among people studying in the sounding fields. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking to learn Java, brush up on their Java knowledge or even to those that already has a basic understanding of the language.
on 14 June 2006
To give you a bit of context so you know where I was coming from before I started reading this book, I used to be a programmer many years ago (over 15), but haven't cut any code for years other than the odd bit of VBA in Excel. I've used mainly BASIC-style languages including Informix, VB, etc. I have read about OO and tried and failed to learn C so have no real experience or understanding of what Java can do. I wanted to learn Java now a) for something to do with my brain (how I miss programming!) and b) to see what all the fuss was about.

I found the book to be very accessible - it has lots of different ways of providing the information - straight text, pictures with text on, jokes (cheesy, but ok), break-out boxes, quizzes, etc. It is probably written for people with short attention spans, but that works ok for me. Sometimes it labours a point a bit too much, but it does mean that everything sticks and I have found this book to be an excellent way for me to learn Java so far. I'm learning new stuff and it is sticking - I can leave it for a few days and still remember everything (both how AND why things are done - something the book is very good at covering). After about a week of reading (doing about an hour a night after work) I have been able to write a basic command line calculator, which uses only about 100 lines of code. I have completed this in far less time than it would have taken me to do it in Informix/VB, etc. The program itself is no big deal in programming terms, but I made sure that the program uses most of the concepts taught in the first half of the book and I didn't have to spend hours flicking around the pages looking for bits and pieces when writing it - any book that can put that amount of knowledge in my head in a week is excellent as far as I am concerned.

I have read another reviewer's comments about this book not being a reference and I agree totally. The book teaches Java and its application of OO concepts in a logical and structured manner and does this very well. It does not cover all aspects of Java, for example it refers the reader to Sun's JDK Documentation to explore the full set of API features. In fact, it doesn't even cover how to compile and execute Java programs (classes), which seems somewhat fundamental to me. I worked out how to do this at the command prompt (DOS) myself, but now use a development tool called JCreator, which is freeware and makes life a lot easier.

I would say that this book will make you into a competent Java programmer if you are new to Java, but have some confidence/experience with programming or computer software in general (e.g. you aren't scared of concepts like a stack and using pushing and popping, or can work out how to install and use the compiler yourself, etc.). I suspect that more reading will be needed to become a skilled one (and to be fair the book does suggest this so it isn't masquerading as something it isn't). As an analogy, I would describe this book as a very knowledgeable tour guide, but one who assumes you know (in a small way at least) something of the subject already. In other words, after reading it you will be able to write Java-based OO programs, but won't be necessarily able to articulate the concepts and arguments underpinning the reasons for using OO in the first place or the full power that Java has to offer. If you are hobbyist Java-noodler like me then that's absolutely fine. If you want to become an excellent Java programmer then this book would be a great first step, but will not take you on the full journey.