Customer reviews

on 21 September 2006
This book is a very good reference companion while programming in C, not only does it remind you how to program but it also provides details of the standard library that might help you code your programs.

The book is very well organised, it is clear, concise, and it is quite an interesting book to read!

Overall I give it 5 STARS
on 7 January 2016
This book is outstanding. It is informative, didactic and planned perfectly from the beginning to the end. It is a classic masterpiece. After reading this, my next plan to read up on the C language is to read the C standards themselves; the web address is referenced within the book. I think this book really prepares me for such a difficult undertaking. Another suggestion which this book makes is to read an article called 'What every computer scientist should know about floating point arithmetic'. After reading the text, I found it especially useful to read the entire reference section. The authors are sheer code artists: their code is succinct, concise and elegant. They explain everything perfectly. A slight drawback is that I feel the typing errors, and one contextual contradiction need to be amended in future editions. I did send 10 pages of errata to the publishers, who say they welcome comments, but have had no reply. DMR
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2010
Look for a cow on the cover of this book. I bought this book for a C in UNIX class. The C part is great.

There is hardly a page that does not have an example or enlightening diagram. However, the only reference to applying this to UNIX is in the back where it "Practically" says that there are different versions of UNIX. It never really claimed to be a UNIX book on C. The section on unbufferd I/O has a little more on the UNIX handling of files. Over all, until something better comes along I am still using this book.
on 14 August 2011
Bought this to learn C so I can program micro-controllers. Find it very heavy going and you need to be persistent. It is, however, a very useful book and one which I keep by me most of the time.
on 21 November 2015