on 29 May 2001
This book may be a bit too detailed for some readers hence only 4 stars, but if you are serious about using BSD then this is the ticket. It has very detailed sections on how to install, use and modify the BSD system. It even comes with BSD on 4 CD's!!! A great buy for any BSD enthusiast.
on 23 December 2005
This book is excellent - mine now looks tattered because of over use - I keenly wait for the next version that covers 6.0 My background is purely wintel and using this book I have configured FreeBSD to host Samba, DNS, DHCP, roaming profiles (Although you should get a copy of O'Reilly "Using Samba" to complement this handbook) I had never installed FreeBSD before however this book has taken me from a complete novice to a medium user - ever compiling my own kernel. Would recommend to anyone.
You do have to use this book with other online resources but it gives you a great starting point on most topics – Due to the changing nature of the OS the book is slightly out of date but still worth having on the Bookshelf
on 28 February 2015
good
on 29 November 2004
This book is bad! Definitely not for the novice (as it claims to be) and not sure if it's any good for the med/ad user.
I am from a MS environment and have dabbled a bit with Redhat before but decided to go with FreeBSD hence purchased this book to get started.
I've brought many Tech books from Amazon but this is the first one that I am so disappointed with that I am returning it. The book provides lots of 'you can do this and that' but never actually get down to showing the novice how. It usually starts off with a couple of commands but then stopped not letting you know how to finish the task.
Chpt. 9 on Ports collection is most disappointing. It provides nothing useful and no mention whatsoever on what to do if you have a gzip file. I ended up referring back to my Redhat book which provided more thorough instructions and explanations.