Customer reviews

on 3 July 2016
This is such a great book, full of tips and tricks for using the UNIX operating system.
The best thing about it is that every aspect is covered in an easy to understand and approachable manner. Worth every penny.
on 14 March 2016
The book was delivered in the same conditions as described.
Very happy with this product.
on 23 December 2002
There isn't a single unix book better than this, but if you are an unix adminstrator like the previous guy who review the book, you're looking at the wrong book. This book has earned it's book title with pride.
I have had the book for over 5 years, i still refer to it now and again, i am a developer and have found that I was not leveraging the full potential for the operating system, however this book puts me back on track. I have had 3 years of unix exp. before buying the book most of the elementary thing i didn't need and other stuff was not appealing at first, I expected more, but there is more just that i didn't know until I had more commercial experience.
on 27 January 2015
If you work on *nix os command line. This is seriously the book you need. It will teach you everything except networking. The chapters on vi and awk are really very good. This book might be more expensive than most, but it is really a number of great books rolled into one. I bought this years ago and bought it again as an ebook (for reference).
on 19 March 2008
Still a great book... A real joy to read ( for any geek ). Constantly shown how to save key stokes and the power of gnu tools. I now insist on having cygwin on windows so I can utilise the ease of control gained from reading this book.... This book is the best I've seen for layout and referencing.... It spoils you for reading other books. I read oreily's bash and regex after this and felt I had wasted my time because this book had covered so much, any extra details I could have just googled.
on 8 February 2016
Why didn't I buy this book sooner? The edition I bought was very old - but not really outdated. The content still applies and the authors take time to explain the most common things I wanted to know about UNIX including:

shells, sed, vi, awk, bash programming, file-system, users etc.

It's my go-to reference guide... do pick up a copy, even an older one.
on 4 April 2011
I had heard so many rumors and comments on UNIX POWER TOOLS that I decided to grab myself a copy. OK, whatever you hear about this book, believe it! It is a hinty/tippy/optimizer book that will make you dig into unix as much as possible and provide you with a deep insight on OS architecture. Still in progress but my opinion is settled: Brilliant!
on 5 August 2013
After reading the book on the first day, I got many tips.
I Recommend for others unix script developers also.
on 24 September 2016