on 22 October 2015
Bought nearly 10 years ago at a time when I wanted a hard copy of several manuals and server guides, I now favour online and digital resources which are easier to search. No issues with the book for anyone wanting a "real" book.
on 27 December 2016
As expected
on 7 September 2013
The second hand book market for those of us who still like to read a real book. Ben is extremely reliable and very prompt
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2002
Now you may think that there are better books out there. And there maybe. However this book is a "five star" book. I bought this book for a beginning apache class. We were able to follow the instructions and down load the Apache server from the Internet. The only problem we had was with the NIS system that was not anticipated in this book. It was a lot more important to use this book to read the flat files and see how they were related to each other. The section on Extra Modules (chapter 12) gave a way to improve the server and go outside the scope of this book. This book covered more details than I was looking for; this ways different people can use the book to target their particular needs. You can safely say:
"This book has everything you need to set up an apache server."
on 4 August 1999
(Disclaimer:this applies to the first edition. Maybe the second one sorts out these problems, I hope!)
It is strange to say that an oreilly book is actually not very informative, but that is certainly the case with this one.
The wordy and messy style of writing, makes it very stressful to correct what are sometimes critical problems (Ie, a site is not configured properly or when it's gone down). The examples do not seem to apply to real world problems, and although the writers seem to have a very good grasp of what it's all about, unfortunately, they don't teach it well.
I'm relieved to have bought the Apache Server Bible instead. Perhaps now the two books can complement each other, and I can find quick tips and help from that bigger manual, leaving the o'reilly book for when there is time to have a slow read.
on 3 June 2009
Butterthlies? The example website throughout this confusing book is not even pronounceable. I spent a lot of time trying to pronounce it - each time I came across it in the text, and it was so annoying it really put me off and slowed my train of thought! I would not recommend this book for that reason alone.
on 8 April 2003
I have to maintain Apache Servers, and many times, I ask the
question "Why the heck does it do that?" or "How can I do this?".
99% of the time, the Web comes to the rescue, but for that 1% of the time, when the Web can't help, and the A-Team are off polishing their AK-47's, this book comes in damn handy. To cap it all off, I usually find that the stuff on the web is just an electronic copy of the pages from this book!
Granted, the book is getting dated now (April 2003), a big chunk of it still applies, and is invaluable for the Apache administrator who doesn't like trawling the web.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2005
"This book has everything you need to set up an apache server."
on 22 May 2007
I cannot recall the last time I was left feeling that a book purchase was a complete waste of money. Firstly, let me say that I took an almost immediate dislike to the book, relegating it to the back of a cupboard after several chapters. I have two basic problems based on what I did read: the book is dated in its content and is dated in its style. Technically, a lot of the information provided seems obsolete in the face of the excellent Apache 2.x online documentation. Despite the bold declaration on the exterior that this edition now covers version 2.0 you'll still find a lot of old 1.3 examples within. The sections relating to topics such as server side logic and Tomcat connectivity are simply a joke and cannot have been updated since the second edition (circa last century).

The book is largely composed of content taken directly from the official Apache documentation. When the authors do provide original material it is often highly parochial and has a horrible tendency to veer off course. There is an obsession with FreeBSD that is virtually monomaniacal and rarely is the opportunity missed to take issue with win32 or display disdain for the popularity of Linux. The two authors conjure images of hoary old academics who never quite manage to put aside their technological bigotry and I simply cannot accept this tone in a technical book.

In its present form this title only serves to tarnish both the good name of O'Reilly and any confidence in Apache as a commercial solution. Unless you are running a seriously old version of the server you would be better advised to spend a little time searching the Web for practical answers to your problems. For more general information, the official Apache documentation is of course free, accurate and up-to-date.
on 11 May 2014
I have this book with the same title and ISBN with a publication date of December 2002, so it would appear that the claimed 2013 date for the Kindle addition is misleading.

The discussion, in my printed edition, of certificate authorities for SSL out of date in that there was no mention of intermediate certificates.