Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 January 2011
This book is geared towards the American motorcycle camper, but has good tips and advice for a novice/ learning motorcycle camper. I'm a reasonably experienced motorcyclist and camper and found myself agreeing with a lot of the tips - which we learn through experience.
I had a few chuckles as I read about problems particular to the USA...guns are prohibited on many campsites...and what are chiggers?? I did learn some stuff about camping in the USA that might have me running to a motel - racoons, bears and other animals, not to mention rowdy neighbours at campsites - there are useful tips to avoid these spoiling your trip.
Sometimes you feel some issues are repeated - but actually its all relevant.
Don't let the USA focus put you off - it has relevance for all countries.
Mainly its an interesting pleasant read, reminding me of trips I have taken - I bought it as a christmas read and it did the job of whiling away a few pleasant hours.
on 2 November 2008
You need to realise that this is decidedly American. There's a lot of advice that has no relevance to the British or European motorcycle camper, unless you consider your most useful tools to be an AXE and a CROWBAR! Having said that, there's always something to be gained from an enthusiastic author like this, and it's worth a look for the little ideas that you may just be able to utilise. I'd check out a used copy if you can find one, or at the most a cheaper paperback version; it's worth a few quid as long as you don't have expectations of this book being the perfect guide for you. If you intend to ride your hog across the USA and camp in their National Parks, then you'll need to know about the bears and other critters that forage for food at night. Alternatively, should you have in mind a more modest jaunt in the UK or over the English Channel, you could survive without this purchase.
In conclusion: Interesting, but perhaps somewhat irrelevant. 3 stars.