on 29 July 2013
I'm not a great one for writing reviews but this book is fantastic. As I said in the title I have never used a recipe book so frequently. There is great diversity in the salads, the ingredients are generally readily available and the more obscure you can find if you just look a bit harder.

Recipe steps are clear, quantities seem about right and I especially like the 'swap in' section at the bottom of most recipes where alternative ideas for some ingredients are included.
on 23 June 2017
A good book but to be honest I haven't made many salads out of it...probably due to the fact that many of the recipes require ingredients that are not normally found in my cupboard.
on 3 April 2013
Harry Eastwood was raised in France, and currently lives in Paris, but UK viewers may remember her from Channel 4′s 2007 show, Cook Yourself Thin.

I have a lot of recipe books, but of them all, none are dedicated to salads. It's not that I avoid salads as such, it's just that I don't make them frequently.

When you pick up a book that has the word `salad' in the title, you would be forgiven for picturing a sad pile of wilted and pathetic looking lettuce leaves. You will be delighted to hear then, that the recipes within A Salad For All Seasons are bright, colourful and a far cry from the drab rabbit food we imagine.

The weather lately, while now officially summer, has definitely been wintery in nature so there has been a fair amount of wintery dishes consumed in Chez Mutherfudger's lately. I need to break from this cycle of stodge, and this book could be just the thing to help me do that.

After the introduction, there is a page of the author's favourite seasonal leaves and how best to use them. This book introduces over 100 recipes broke down into four main seasonal chapters, then listed alphabetically. There is also an alphabetical index at the back.

I love books that encourage us to eat seasonally. The variety of dishes included in this book has inspired me to try and make salad more of an everyday item, and not just an accompaniment. A further treat at the back is a section of recipes for useful dressings and flavoured vinegars.

As one would imagine, the recipes are largely savoury, but Eastwood has managed to sneak in a few desserts, such as Bananas with Rum Butterscotch, and Strawberry Salad with White Chocolate Mousse.

We all know that it's our eyes that we choose our meals with first, so each recipe is accompanied by a vibrant picture that is beautifully staged and highlights the striking colours of the ingredients within.

While a lot of the recipes are vegetarian, not all are. There is a wide selection of ingredients used - some I confess I had not heard of! This is not to say that the recipes are not accessible to the average household. The majority of the recipes use ingredients that are probably in your fridge or store cupboard, or easily available from your supermarket.

The recipes themselves have clear instructions. Each one indicates the number of calories per portion, and how many of your `five-a-day' it meets. Those with a little clock symbol are the quickest and easiest to prepare, so perfect for a mid-week supper. My favourite recipes were Goats Cheese and Honey Parcels, Whopping Potato Salad and the Classic Cobb Salad.

If you fancy a change to your usual fare that is quick, simple, yet delicious and nutritious, then salad is where it is at, baby.
on 13 October 2013
Very doable salad meals, utterly delicious. Beautifully presented book, great photography and harry's warm prose is a happy accompaniment, its an enjoyable, comforting and inspiring book, with lovely recipes that have the whole family clearing their plates with appetite stimulated visually by the great colours of the salads...not just a bowl of green!-and roused appetites met by the subtle yet hearty and satisfying salad mixes.
This grey autumn, have been so glad to have the warm butternut squash salad, perfect with dried cranberries and oecans,and a hearty cobb salad with bacon and cheddar alongside chicken , and the gorgeous spanish salad, with chorizo and butter beans, and we took up her suggestion of adding a fried egg on top..it was perfect.

I loved harry's cake baking book, and have used it so repeatedly that I have now learned to bake cakes "eastwood style" and can extemporise with cupboard and fridge ingredients on hand, to drum up a great cake. I think harry has a profound flair for flavour and texture and cooking her food is a great addition to learning about what goes together and how to approach food from a creative angle.

I think after living with this new salad book for some time and working through all the seasons recipes, one would be an all round better salad designer. I say this as a tribute to harry. She gives superbe recipes that help open up one's vision of what works and is doable.

So give your salad making skills a mahor upgrade. This book gives manageable and truly delicious salad recipes.
Love it.
Thankyou harry.
on 24 July 2013
Great photos and recipes are split by season. Most require quite a few "non store cupboard" ingredients. But with a few tweaks the recipes can easily be afford-ably made
on 6 June 2013
The pictures are lovely and the seasonal sections for you to look through are good. My daughter who shows very little interest in cooking borrowed the book the day I received it, followed a recipe and was delighted with her result! Very easy to follow and the swap ingredients for each recipe is such a bonus.
on 28 June 2013
I have been delighted with this book and have found the recipes easy to follow and very tasty, it's nice to see more unusual ingredients. I like the calorie count. I can recommend her other two books also- all of which are just that little bit different from the usual run of the mill stuff.
on 13 July 2013
I am a great fan of Harry Eastwood; she combines exquisite taste with healthy and low calorie eating. This book doesn't disappoint. She has split the recipes into seasons and encourages you to source seasonally. A great book, and one I've already made great use of!
on 21 June 2013
This book is very nice to look at but I was looking forward to getting some ideas for some hearty salads. However, the recipes are a bit feeble and require some unfamiliar ingredients. Some big, nutritious, wholesome salad recipes would have been a great addition.
on 30 June 2013
ok so have only made 2 salads so far but the feel good salad is so scrummy i've made a lot!! i love that its divided into seasons and will be making more - love to have salad on the plate all year round.