on 15 July 2014
Where to start?? Poorly written, spotted 2 spelling mistakes; absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the catering industry; i should know as i been in the trade for about 20 odd years now. If you want a book with insight of the catering industry i would recommend Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
on 27 October 2014
I've read all of the Babylon series. I'd begun to think they were becoming "tired" - however - this one has brought the series alive again !
Funny, stories which one could easily imagine happening, plus some which were a surprise. Aspects relating to the food world, naming chefs, restaurants etc where I recognised some of the facts as being true life. Really entertaining book especially for "foodies"
on 1 September 2013
I really like the way Imogen Edwards-Jones puts her books together. She is an investigative journalist by trade and from radio interviews that she has done, I know that her information has been fully researched and verified. She puts her books together in a way that makes them read a bit like a bitchy gossip. Some of the anecdotes are cringe worthy and other are laugh out loud funny. A quick read that makes you feel as though you have been sat next to a really good raconteur on a long journey - a dull time lightened by a good story.
on 10 March 2016
Rather disappointing impression after having enjoyed Air Babyon. Despite what you may think, people that are familiar with hospitality won't enjoy this book. Those with a penchant for celebrities' lives and endless amounts of telly will. If you aren't a Londoner or able to recognise the people in glossy magazines don't waste your time on this book. It's just endless name-dropping and the anecdotes are sparser than expected. Some are alright but others really make you suspend disbelief, like big time. Having worked as a waiter in a busy restaurant in the West End for three years I was able to relate to very little in this book.

If this is what the Babylon series has become I can't look forward to reading anything else. The only reedeming factor is the odd funny metaphor.
on 12 January 2016
I enjoyed this book. I believe it too be a worse case scenario of a day from hell in the restaurant business, all of the things than can go wrong in a restaurant crammed into 24 hours. I can well believe many of the snippets that are mentioned, particularly about the pricing procedure, and the food that they want to get off their hands. They say if you visited the back of kitchens in some cases the front you would never out again, this book has certainly not put me off eating out, it will just made me look at bit more closely at the general running of the places where I eat. You need to have a certain knowledge of London eating places or access to Google to know at times what is being talked about, enjoyed the little bit of gossip about the chefs we know from our television screens. Good and enjoyable read.
on 31 July 2013
I like this series of books. Having started with Hotel Babylon then Airline Babylon and so on I was particularly looking forward to this one as I live in London and eat out frequently. However, I felt it was one long PR exercise. Imogen is clearly on some sort of backhander or freebie as the number of times she mentioned Polpo, The Wolseley, and Scotts was completely unnecessary! Not to mention how many times the owners of these establishments were named,it was like reading a long list of popular restaurants in London. This was certainly NOT the case with Hotel Babylon, I wonder why? Anyway, very disappointing. Did not live up to its promise at all.
on 23 September 2013
Having read the rest of the series and enjoyed them i was looking forward to this book but unfortunately was disappointed it didnt reach the standards of the previous ones.As someone else has said this was more like a list of london restaurants and cafes and therefore didnt have the widespread appeal of the other books.Perhaps the list of babylons is coming near to an end.Book Babylon as the next title?
on 26 May 2014
Until reading this book I enjoyed eating out.....now I'm not so sure. Having read all her other books I found this a disappointment and didn't finish it. The language really put me off and the descriptions of what so called professional staff could add to food was the last straw for me. I think this is the last Imogen book I'll be buying.
on 13 April 2014
i liked hotel babylon and to a lesser extent airport baylon. this was so like hotel babylon so many stories semi repeated and so yawn!

ok if you have never read any others from the serious but if you have then.............
on 29 April 2014
Working in the hospitality industry I was interested to see if I recognised any of the stories. The anecdotes are good, however there aren't enough of them and the filler... really is filler.
I can appreciate what the author had tried to do- show 24 hours in the restaurant industry, but to encounter disaster after disaster on an hourly basis seems so clumsy and unconvincing.