on 27 April 2017
Ryan and Ty return for another action packed, 100mph adventure. In my opinion, this is the best Lock novel yet. Deep characters, solid storylines and the twists you need to keep you engrossed. Thoroughly recommended.
on 15 December 2014
Always a good story from Sean
on 3 April 2017
Very good
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 August 2012
Okay Ladies and Gents, meet Mr Sean Black. His first book was released in 2009 and featured Ryan Lock an ex-soldier turned Bodyguard and his partner Tyrone Johnson. I picked the first one up and if I'm being 100% honest didn't expect all that much. Just how many more characters like this could my mind take? As it turns out, my mind was very open to Ryan and Ty and now let me introduce you to my latest character crush!

I have read each of Sean Black's 3 books in the series so far and was really looking forward to this book which is the fourth instalment in the Lock series. Ryan Lock and Ty make a brilliant team and have been through the mill with various assignments going wrong. Ryan and Ty are currently doing the security for a rap group when trouble comes to find them for a change. A young girl approaches Lock and tells him that he is the only one that can help track down the wealthy playboy Charlie Mendez who has been convicted on a number of crimes but has fled the US over the border into Mexico.

The story takes less than two chapters to get going with a pretty fast paced scene kicking all the action off. It seems that a few Bounty Hunters that have tried to hunt Charlie Mendez down have ended up dead, so Ryan and Ty make it their mission to bring him back to the United States. There is a sense of real authenticity in Black's books and you realise when you are reading that he has certainly done his homework. Knowing that Sean does things like a 24 day Intensive Body guarding Course makes you realise he takes his research seriously. Even more so when you find he spent time in Supermax Prison Pelican Bay also in the name of research!

With the story being fast paced the whole of the first half, I expected it to slow down a bit towards the middle but it kept up its suspense and we were thrown plenty of curveballs and surprises along the way. You can certainly read this book as a stand alone but for those that have read all the previous Lock books you will see Ryan try to move on from the issues he was dealing with at the end of the last book and this case seems to be a good way of moving forward. This book has plenty of action and suspense to keep you reading and although I loved every page of it I am looking forward top the next instalment more. That may sound strange but I want to see what happens next for Ryan and Ty, especially regarding their personal lives.

Overall, another solid read from Sean Black and he shows no signs of the series slowing down, it just appears to be getting better. As usual, having finished the book I was left with that disappointed feeling, I have to wait another year to reacquaint myself with my latest character crush. Mr Lock, we will meet again!
Wow. Sean Black just keeps getting better as an author and this latest book featuring Ryan and Ty was by far the best in the series. A worry for any fan of an author is always whether the next book will be as good as previous books however a few pages into this book and that worry vanished. This book was better than the others, by miles. And that is a huge compliment when you consider just how good the previous novels are.

Like the other books this one read like a movie. I could just imagine watching this on the big screen and it had all the hallmarks of a fantastic action movie. I started this last night and struggled to put it down, reading until 4am. I read another book today but just spent the last hour finishing this off and even then I only wanted to read a few chapters but it's one of those books that once you start you will really struggle to put it down!

Lock is a fantastic creation and I couldn't wait to catch up with him following the dramatic events at the conclusion of the previous book. Those events sort of left him feeling invincible considering the case he decided to take on had a high probability in resulting in his death. The pace of the book was great and I really was on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book. The short chapters also help as the book moves at a quicker pace however one more chapter turns into many more chapters!

The ending was also fantastic and questions were raised as to whether Lock was going to go against everything he believed in. The cast of characters were also very good, the main villain in the book was especially evil and one you spent the book hoping would get his comeuppance eventually. My only disappointment now is waiting for the next installment featuring these two fantastic characters, of which there has to be one! However that fear I mentioned in the first paragraph is back as you are left wondering just how Black can improve on this book and where he is going to take these two characters next. I cannot wait to find out.
on 8 August 2012
I like to read books that move at a fast pace and tell a story that keeps me saying just another chapter before I set the book down. The Devil`s Bounty is definitely one of those. I had read the three previous Lock books from Sean Black, had enjoyed them, and was looking forward to the fourth in the series. I was not disappointed.
The story has the two main characters going on a private mission to Mexico. This of course proves to be more complicated than first imagined. While this book will be recommended by many I do not see it being on the Mexican Tourist Board`s recommended reading list.
My expectations for this book were simple - fast paced and a good story. Sean Black delivers yet again.
If you enjoy Michael Connolly, Robert Crais, Lee Child or John Sandford then you know about quality, fast paced thrillers. Time to add Sean Black to your list.
on 12 January 2013
Sean has really only just started to write, but he's a quickly getting he's name known. Lock is a great character, and Sean has developed him and his life very well. My kind of guy. I've read all the books from Lock down to this in just under six months since finding the first Book.. But you need to read them in sequence to really get this guy. I can't put these books down once I start.
Sean needs to write faster as I get withdrawal symptoms very quickly.
Devil's Bounty is very fast paced and Lock and co are Brilliant great twists and turns through out ....
on 25 August 2014
this is a hard book to rate as it promises but never quite seems to deliver. Definitely the weakest of Black's Ryan Lock novels to date: I still found it quite good, but in all honesty I kept hoping for something to happen. The characters as always are strong, but the trademark "zip" of his previous novels was missing and the book felt as if it had been padded out. For someone new to Black leave this novel alone and get one of his earlier ones: if like me you've read the earlier ones, give it a go but don't build your expectations too high
on 17 September 2012
Brace yourself for a rollercoaster of a ride with The Devils Bounty, it starts with a wounded girl stumbling into the Hotel where Lock is working and ends with a bounty hunt across the border into Mexico. This is an excellant fast paced read which will keep you on the edge of your seat to the very last page.If your a fan of Jack Reacher or Joe Hunter you will love Sean's character Ryan Lock. I'm not going to give anymore away just to say the book deserves every star I have given it and more.
Andrew Scorah author of Homecoming Blues.
on 15 April 2016
Preposterous story line. If you can disengage the logic chip in your brain and accept that two mercs can pop up in Mexico to take down a drugs cartel with no back up, support, intelligence, resources, understanding of the local demographics or lay of the land and walk out unscathed then good on you. That said, the leads are engaging enough, on the side of the angels so you root for them despite everything