on 22 October 2016
This is the first Dan Brown book, I've read. I saw the films for the first two books in the Langdon series and fancied a read. I've also read Holy Blood Holy Grail and Foucault's Pendulum, which seem to be on about the same sort of thing. The book was a nice read and given that it is a mixture of fact and fiction, I found it stimulating. I couldn't quite get into Brown's writing style and sometimes it detracted from the story. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I thought a best selling author with successful Hollywood films based on his books would be a better writer, but then this is just my opinion and others may find his writing better than I did. Some books you pick and love the way their written. The Author manages to effortlessly carry you along the narrative and you are drawn into the story. This did so in parts but not throughout. Also the end seemed to drag on a bit for me. Perhaps what has made Dan Brown's work so successful is the subject matter which he has clearly researched very thoroughly and this certainly makes the book worth reading. It was a good read and the sort of thing I would expect people would like to read on holiday.
on 4 July 2017
First page was ok, but went down from there. Rambling and directionless, he takes forever to get to the point, so I skimmed pages. Characters were very two dimensional and as others have said, not very likeable. The plot was not well thought out either, so in the end I really didn't care! I wanted to enjoy it, but alas, it gave me a headache.
on 2 November 2017
I'll be honest. I've seen the films but never read any of the books. This one was recommended to me as it was one that hadn't been turned into a film so the story would be new to me. Safe to say, it was fantastic. I found myself googling the places in the book as I read, seeing for myself where the story was set and getting a true picture of what was happening. It's a real page turner and I cant wait to read more of Dan Brown's material.
on 13 November 2017
While I absolutely love Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code years ago, I struggled to finish The Lost Symbol.

The pace is too fast, it shifts extremely quickly between scenes, feeling more like a blockbuster movie then a novel. While the antogonist is set up brilliantly, many of the other characters have stories that feel like they should have more impact on the story than they do, disappointingly failing to deliver and instead leaving an ending that feels no more than skin deep.

Robert Langdon is stripped off his agency throughout the story and the story failed to interest me in him as a protagonist.
on 30 May 2010
I listened to the unabridged audiobook of this new Dan Brown novel. I have to say I did enjoy it despite reservations offered by a lot of reviewers, the point is that for popular fiction although it follows a very well established Dan Brown sequence of mysteries and puzzles unfolding, I do find it intriguing enough to want to keep on and wanting to find out what happens next quickly from one chapter to the next. The subject matter is interesting and I had not known some of the masonic contexts of the establishment of Washington buildings etc, and this in itseld is interesting and even if woven into fiction, it is interesting from the perspective of me as someone who has visited Washington as a tourist and on business, and to see it in a somewhat different light.

There are times that you do wish Dan Brown got to the point in some parts of the story (for example when some details are statements of the obvious), and also I found myself not liking Langdon character as much as in Angels & Demons or even in DVC - for some reason between his last fictional outing and this one Langdon has become a little thicker :o) and those around him a little cleverer and quicker to figure things out - anyway perhaps that was intentional on the author's part

The baddie in this story reminds me a bit of the one in Red Dragon. The thriller elements of the novel are very good and the way the narrator reads and characterises is excellent. I would recommend going for the unabridged version if you choose the audiobook.
on 3 December 2014
Read this whilst sitting on a beach in dubai. I have to say this book was really good and well written. At first I was a little put off as it was about free masonry, however it encapsulates the fine detail of this society of secrets and leaves you with a burning curiosity after. Alot of what's written in the book is true, that of the history of free masonry and how it came about. The story ranges from its origin in Scotland, over to where the society spread in the 18-1900s in America. Would recommend to anyone wanting to get engrossed in a good thrilling, story twisting book
on 21 November 2016
The Lost Symbol which is the 3rd in the Robert Langdon series is a thriller set in Washington DC, where yet again Robert Langdon is mixed in with something bizzare - seriously that man really needs to have better contacts! If you enjoy Dan Brown's books already then rest assured this book does not disappoint.

If you haven't read any of Dan Brown's books then pick up the whole series from Amazon, sit in a comfy chair and get immersed in these amazing books. You're welcome!
on 10 October 2016
The book was in good condition from the seller. No significant damage. Just expected signs of wear for a used book.

The story is another fantastic one and a must buy if you have read the first two books by Dan Brown; Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code.

Lots of twists and turns as expected from Dan Brown keeping you gripped to the story.
on 10 November 2016
So I got back into reading Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series (in the right order, unlike the films) recently following seeing Inferno at the cinema. I can't put them down and have read three of them in just a few days.

After seeing the films of the other 3 and reading this, I wondered why no film? The book is full of imagery that a film could do justice to. There are so many scenes here that cinema could translate. Oh well, maybe the Masons got to the studios....

The book is an intriguing read and I enjoyed the storyline, the characters and the premise overall.

Waiting to start Inferno now and hope that's as good!
on 16 January 2018
I should have known better, having read all of the other books by this author, they go on far too long and drag out the story to the point where you don't care any more you just want it to be over.
Implausible to say the least, religion, philosophy, noetics and all the traditional sciences thrown into a melting pot and hey presto! the plot. And it all takes place over a ten hour period now that's stretching it...

Good for Washington DC' s tourism though. Will be a long time until I read Inferno