Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 December 2015
Great book
on 13 September 2014
This book is brilliant. Great food. Easy to follow instruction. with less calories but wonderful taste,
on 25 July 2016
A very satisfied customer ok book
on 17 July 2015
I've tried a few of these recipes. I like her approach and the food has turned out well.
on 1 August 2013
Loved Harry's first book, excited to see this one. Happily munching through the recipes. Find her writing entertaining, love her as dinner guest any time!
on 25 November 2013
It was with some scepticism I purchased this book. No more. The modifications of classic recipes make for fine dining
on 8 August 2011
This is a nice book for people that are not very familiar with French cuisine. To be honest, I have prepared a tarte with dried tomatos, but it was not as good as I would expect. I am not a beginner, I did everything as indicated in the recipie and anyway this is a very easy recipie.
I will not hurry to jugde this book. I will try other recipies as well and I will come back with a full review.
As a first view: it is a nice book to have and I am happy I have it in my collection.

PS: only one thing - I would prefer instead of Paris photos to have photos for all recipies....
3 people found this helpful
on 20 July 2013
This is a. Good recepie book but not for the every day more for special occasions. But has some wonderful recepies.
One person found this helpful
on 26 April 2011
I bought and loved Red Velvet and Chocolate heartache, so when I saw the cover of this book, I had an idea of what would be inside. Beautifully styled and photographed images of food and other imagery, as well as unique and wonderful recipes. Harry has delivered again! Though the recipes are mostly calorie-conservative versions of classic French recipes, so not quite unique, it is a unique approach to a cookbook of traditional French recipes!

I especially love the seven-hour leg of lamb, gratin dauphinois, and the apple tart (on the cover). Her notes on each recipe, explaining how she has reduced the calories while maintaining the flavor and character of the dish are also invaluable. It helps not only understand these recipes, but is great knowledge for adapting any other recipes to fit a lower calorie need. The recipes are all accessible, no special cooking skills required except for a few of the recipes like Madeleines and Macarons which might be a bit daunting if whipping egg whites scares you.

This book is perfect for anyone who loves to eat what they prepare for guests without making a special plate, it is for anyone who loves French food but has caloric intake concerns, it is for everyone who loves a beautiful book.
25 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2011
Harry does it again, and then some. This book appealed to me on a few levels - I love the traditional French ethos of eating (sitting down, taking your time over food, simplicity and balance of flavours and amounts) - love French food - and was looking for some lighter recipes which were delicious, but also healthy enough to make every day.

It delivers on all of those counts. I've recently become vegetarian again (or rather pescatarian, as I eat fish and shellfish) and I was finding my beloved Nigella Kitchen didn't give me too many options that appealed. So far I've made Harry's salad verte, croque monsieur (sans ham for me), skate (then used the sauce vierge that went with it on grilled haloumi the next night) and the endive, walnut and apple salad with Roquefort. They've all been terrific - easy and quick to make, and delicious. She's got plenty of fish and vegetarian recipies (or ones that could be easily adapted to be) alongside loads for meat eaters.

From her intro ("How are the French so skinny when they eat croissants every day? Answer: They don't") to her recipe ideas and instructions to her all-round approach, I find Harry really common-sense and practical. This book makes me feel like I'm eating well, and living well. I really like her Chocolate Heartache book too, but this to me is a step up. It's everyday cooking, rather than just the sweet treats, and everything I've made, I've loved (whereas in Heartache, anything using carrot, sweet potato or courgette are winners, but anything using eggplant or beetroot have a distinct 'earthy' taste to me). I think this is great - and really want to make that apple tart.
32 people found this helpful