on 9 May 2011
Completely agree with the first two reviewers. This is great. I couldn't put it down and read it obsessively over the weekend. I never want to be treated in a hospital ever again. But then I never did in the first place. A real eye-opener!
on 4 June 2013
I have been wanted to read this book for a while now, after being suckered in by beach babylon and slowly making my way through all the installments.
My entire sunday was dedicated to reading this and sure enough I literally did not put it down all day, I couldn't! Written so excellently, if you haven't read this, or indeed the other babylons, I would strongly encourage you do.
on 7 May 2011
I have to admit to being a bit of a Babylon fan. I have the collection and this does not disappoint. it has all the highs, the lows, the laughs and the poignant bits that you would expect from Edwards-Jones. It is laugh out loud funny but at the same time the narrative is strong enough to carry you through. She had done her homework and it really shows. This is the best in the series so far!
on 21 October 2012
Not bad but I read a book called "In stitches" which I think was a bit better than this but on the same subject. Same format as the other "babylon" books ie stories are set in a 24 hr period & written as if it all happened on on person's shift. Made me want to stay out of hospital !
on 30 May 2011
The book arrived promptly and is keenly priced. The author has written many books in the Babylon series and takes stories from the medical profession and condenses them into a book. Having worked in the NHS for over 30 years, the stories seem authentic though tame compared with my own experiences. A good 'holiday read'but nothing special.
on 12 July 2011
I downloaded this when it came out but have only just got round to reading it. It only took my one day. funnily enough I work in a hospital (compiling rota's to ensure the wards and outpatients are covered 24/7) and can confirm that all the doctors do swap around on the first Wednesday of August (it's a nightmare time for me as you can imagine). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read from cover to cover almost immediately, it really does romp along at a fine old pace. I have heard some of these stories before but even so in some parts I laughed out loud. It also makes you want to cry in some places. I had rad Hotel Babylon even before it was made into a series and thought this was much better. I will be looking to read some of the others now such as Airport Babylon (but don't think its available on Kindle as yet) Amazon please note. Well done Imogen Edwards Jones another great read.
on 7 September 2013
Hospital Babylon is the fourth book of Imogen Edwards-Jones' eight "Babylon" books that I have read in the past few years. Offering an insight into the world of situations and occupations that are glamorous and yet often ridiculed, these are pretty light reads, with input from anonymous insiders.

Probably the most famous of these books is Hotel Babylon, upon which a television series in the UK was based a few years ago. Hotel Babylon is also the first of the books I read (after seeing the TV series), followed by Beach Babylon (the story of a glamorous resort) and Air Babylon (the adventures of an airline steward which really freaked me out when it discussed what happens when people die on planes).

Hospital Babylon is the last of the "Babylon" books I will probably read, although I'm tempted by Restaurant Babylon that was only released a couple of weeks ago, and that's because it's the last one that I find particularly interesting. I'm always drawn to non-fiction books set in hospitals, as after working in one for more than three years (my favourite job ever), what I saw was enough to make your toes curl, let alone what the medical staff endure.

Based on twenty-four hours in a UK emergency room, seen through the eyes of one of the doctors in training, Hospital Babylon is both a look behind the scenes and at the front line of emergency medicine. Funny, sad, shocking and frustrating, the stories of the patients, doctors, nurses and other medical staff kept me turning the pages, and in between was an intimate look at the NHS itself, and the impact that standards of care, staffing requirements and middle management have had on changing how an emergency room in the UK operates - with some pretty frightening results.

However, unlike other non-fiction medical memoirs I've read in recent years, the main character resists the opportunity to really take a pop at the National Health Service - instead he highlights the impact of the changes, rather than railing against them, and how patients and their outcomes are ultimately affected - either for better or worse.

At times this book is very funny - some of the situations that people find themselves in would be hilarious to anyone except the person in the midst of it, and at other times it's very sad - how quickly someone who appears to have only a minor medical problem can deteriorate, how the staff are pushed to the edges of physical and mental limits and how they actually are real people too - something that is easy to forget when you are waiting for medical attention.

Hospital Babylon is probably the least funny of the "Babylon" books that I've read, but probably the one that I enjoyed the most. To be honest, the writing isn't mind blowing, but the insight with which the story of one emergency room, on one night, was told was enough to keep me entertained.
on 1 September 2013
A good read, well researched - as always with Imogen Edwards-Jones. I learned a few things that perhaps I didn't want to know and other things that made me cross but on the other hand other tales contained within these pages made me laugh. A very enjoyable read.
on 22 May 2013
I have enjoyed other 'Babylon' books but am now getting to the stage of "I've heard it all before".

Not as entertaining or believable as books like "Blood Sweat and Tea" - which is also tales of the real medical world (without being 'fictionalised' like Hospital Babylon)
on 4 November 2013
it's a collection of stories and memories from around the NHS but it still feels like the view of one person. What it does, just as the airline and hotel before it, is put together the full range of stupidty and silliness that people perform on a daily basis. If you like the memoirs of real life docs and paramedics, you will love this.