Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 September 2010
I've been waiting for this book to come out for months and it's well worth the wait! Every bit as witty, entertaining, genuine and just plain brilliant as the first part of Paul's life story. This is what autobiographies are meant to be like!
on 17 September 2010
I have been waiting for the second installment of Paul o'Grades, life story, very funny and written with such warmth,it is like he is reading it himself. I very much recommend people to read it.
on 5 October 2010
Following on from At my Mothers Knee Paul introduces us to a brand new host of wonderful characters each one as memorable as those in his first book. The Drag Queens, The Hookers, the children he cared for recalled in all their glory. His Mother, the indomitable Molly is cleverly woven in and out of the story giving her own inimitable opinions on everything from the bread strike to new years eve. His portrayal of London in the '70's must class him as a modern day Pepys and makes for compelling reading. Thankfully he hasn't sold out and gone down the easy 'sipping champagne with my celeb mates' route like so many others predictably do, instead he has obviously taken time and care to present a hugely readable story that is both very funny and at times unbearably sad. No doubt there will be a final volume. I for one cannot wait. Quite simply, Paul O'Grady is a very talented writer and his latest offering is nothing short of Glorious. I suggest you read this book.
on 3 October 2010
Buy this book NOW.!! you will not regret it, what a fantastic read. Its one of those books that you can not put down and almost every page has something that makes you laugh out loud. Not to spoil anything but for Lily Savage fans did you know that her 'sister' Vera actually exists??? There is even a picture of 'her' in the book :) Really hope there will be a third installment - some come on Paul get writing.....
on 24 September 2010
to keep it short and sweet IT'S GREAT!!! buy it for yourself and anyone you know who is down in the dumps it should be bottled!
on 27 September 2010
The most honest autobiography ive ever read, just as good as the first.
It cant be the last though because two books in and we're only up to about age 23-24! what a busy life Paul has led. Cant wait for the next chapter.
on 17 October 2010
"The Devil Rides Out" is the second in what I hope and trust will be a trilogy of Paul O'Grady's autobiography. It picks up his life at about the age of 18 (where the previous book, "At My Mother's Knee", left off) and takes the reader through a fascinating part of his life about which I knew nothing, particularly his work with handicapped and disadvantaged children and his subsequent work as a social worker. At the same time we read how he takes, or doesn't take, to fatherhood while all the time we learn (as we also learnt in the first book) about people and events that would come to shape his alter ego, Lily Savage. These first two volumes of Pauls autobiography differ from many "celeb's" autobiographies in that they stand as bodies of excellent writing in their own right and would have been worth publishing and reading even if Paul O'Grady was a complete unknown. One very slight niggle - I sometimes found it difficult to work out what year we were in at any given time and a little bit more aid in that department wouldhave been appreciated. Obviously, if you've not read volume one ("At My Mother's Knee") read that before you read "The Devil Rides Out". This latest volume ends at a point in Paul's life where he is starting to dabble in performing on-stage drag, using the name "Lily Savage" but with Lily not yet developed into the brassy blonde with who we are familiar and with Paul miming to music rather than using his caustic wit. One can but hope that Paul will give us a third volume covering the development of Lily, his TV career etc - come on Paul - we want the blankety blank lot.
on 10 October 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It was just as well written as the first one, and really makes you feel like you know Paul well after reading it.

This time round he focuses less on his family and more on his relationships, friends, and some of the many jobs he's had all over the country (and beyond), giving a real insight into his life and all of the things he's had a go at and given his full to, from his trials and tribulations and troubles, to the hilarious parts of his life as he got more into performing.

"I'll have you know I have the skin of an 18 year old!"
"An 18 year old what? Rice pudding?"
on 16 October 2010
This book is a fab follow up to Paul O'Grady's first autobiography. Full of his wit and shows his wonderful way of telling a story.

The only thing that let it down is that the publishers decided that we didn't need the photos in this kindle version. I feel really let down. Other Kindle Books have them so why not include them here?
on 31 December 2016
This is the second of Paul O'Grady's memoirs. I had enjoyed the first and this was just as eventful and packed with detail of his life from late teens through to the very early burgeoning of 'Lily Savage' The writing is engaging and there are some surprising aspects of his young life revealed, I especially liked the sections when he worked for Social Services - working with disabled youngsters and families needing short term practical assistance. His 'romantic' experiences were often anything but and again, some are surprising and either amusing or with slightly tragic overtones