Customer reviews

Death's Head: Day Of The Damned (Deaths Head 3)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2017
Good book
on 15 September 2017
Great read. Pure escapism.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 December 2011
I quite liked the first installment, was disappointed by the second one, and didn't like the third. I almost rated it one star, but refrained because there were a few good ideas, although poorly used or even not exploited at all. The idea of a civil war breaking out and the character of General Luc are quite good. Unfortunatly, both seems to have been plucked out of thin air, with little or no explanations provided as to the whys (why the Civil War, to begin with?), and whos (who is allied against who and why?) and how come (neither Octo V nor any of his generals seem to have seen anything coming?). We don't even know what happened to Octo V. Is he "dead" or not?

As usual for me, Gunn's minimalist writting style and lame dialogues are not enough to make a good story or, rather, to mask the utter lack of a credible story. Neither is the talking Gun. Some bits, such as the last stand of one of the characters (I won't be more specific because I don't want to come up with spoilers) and the insurrection within the capital city, are not bad, but they cannot compensate for the other flaws.

As usual also, what passes for the story just drops of, making you wonder if there is going to be yet another sequel. Should this be the case, I might be reluctant to buy it...
on 27 April 2013
Picked up the 1 st Death's Head (1 of 3) in a charity shop and by the time I was half way through it was on Amazon ordering the 2nd and 3rd in the series.
Most enjoyable romp I’ve read in ages!
The books are basically about an incorrigible, tough soldier, set into a future universe, and his journey, told in the first person, through several battlefields and situations.
All three are a great read if you like tons of fast paced action. Very easy to read and I went through all three books in less than a week- a bit disappointed now though because there does not appear (at least on Amazon) to be any more in the same series, or any other books (apart from something about a Ray Gun??!!) from the same author.
So come on Mr Gunn, get crackin with the 4 th book in the series, I want to know what happens next! (and a 5th and 6th please...)
Highly recommend.
on 4 May 2016
Totally awesome do not understand the bad reviews !! Just wish he'd write some more so please Mr Gunn make my year
on 25 August 2016
Love this story. Its a really great read, super addictive.
on 30 November 2014
Didn't quite enoy the sketchy ending but a good trilogy
on 12 September 2011
The 3rd book in the series delivers just as much action and gore as the first two with a dark and witty monologue from Sven.
As much as I enjoyed reading this series, the 3rd book quite simply had a lot of gaps.

After the first two addictive and fun books, it is wise to completely lower your expectations, otherwise like myself, you'll finish the last book feeling disappointment due to:

- limited clarification of what happens to main characters.
- lack of closure.
- Anti climax.

Sven's nemesis in this book, Luc (Wolf), goes from being a fully fledged character to someone who is suddenly de-prioritized and his future is summed up by maximum a few sentences.

Therefore, the 3rd book is a flop in my opinion, however, in my humble opinion, I still give full credit to David Gunn who has created an awesome character. The general feeling I get from this book is that the author either ran our of energy, time or had a deadline to get this finished. If these barriers are removed, I'd still be the first in line to read a prequel or sequel.

Thanks again for hours of hypnotic reading Mr Gunn!
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2009
As a huge fan of David's writing I can pretty much be found ignoring the TBR pile whenever a favoured author lands. Even if I'm part way though a novel some authors just speak to me and taunt me to get on with their book. David is one of those for me so on a warm summers day with a bottle of my favourite beer I settled onto the lawn for a little read. What unfurled was a tale that really did draw your breath away as you never knew what was going to happen as the tale continued in its own way. Think futuristic Sven Hassell and you've pretty much got a good idea of the type of book that you'll be getting and then add a ton of ammo, a huge amount of explosives and you might get a better idea of what there is. Sven is pretty uncomplicated which is more than can be said for the world around him, he's like the proverbial bazooka, point and shoot and keep clear of the danger zone. Great military action in this Hard Boiled futuristic adventure.
on 6 August 2009
Once again we join Sven Tveskoeg in another Death's Head book, and after thoroughly enjoying the first, Death's Head, and the second, Maximum Offense, I was very eager to see where this one would take the series. After two books that delivered an excellent first person, stripped down prose with more action than you could shake a bazooka at, I was hoping that Day of the Damned would deliver more of the same, but with some new elements to keep it fresh. I was very pleased when it did all, but felt it may have been at a cost.

We start Day of the Damned with a little prologue with General Jaxx while he is waiting to meet OctoV, but he doesn't show. This little scene sets up the story quite nicely, with OctoV apparently missing and General Jaxx the obvious figure at which to direct unrest on the Octovian Empire. We then catch up with Sven, taking leave on Farlight, the capital of the Empire, although the leave he is on comes to an abrupt end when civil unrest threatens the throne that OctoV has held for millenia. Although visiting friends away from the city, a chain of events is put in motion when the life of Vijayy Jaxx is put in danger and Sven must get back to Farlight and join up with the Aux to tackle the ever-growing problems there. Not only this, but the political maneuverings of the U/Free - a galaxy wide civilisation - are starting to bring down the empire that Sven knows and serves.

What I liked about Day of the Damned is that it still keeps the first person view and the focus on the gritty and violent that I enjoyed so much in the first two. Not only that, but the political aspect is coming more into its own this time around and has a bigger role in the story. The only trouble with this is that Sven is our eyes and ears as we progress through the story - he freely admits that the political side of things is of no interest to him. David Gunn uses and excellent analogy for this, that when someone tries to teach Sven to play chess he quite simply puts it that he "doesn't play the long game". While this viewpoint has worked well up to now, I felt that it didn't really help that side of the story this time around, especially with the plot revolving around these aspects, although this is one aspect of Sven that he is consciously aware of and tries to work around this.

One of the other things that caught me out was the lack of the Aux - they don't appear in the first half of the story and the character and team building that was done in Maximum Offense didn't feel like it was paying off as much as I was hoping. That isn't to say it doesn't - when the Aux turn up they fall in very nicely with the story and I felt at home with them almost immediately. Despite this, I felt that Day of the Damned was much more focused on Sven after the detour of the second book that focused on the team more. This is good as Sven is one of those characters that you can't help to like and I wouldn't be reading a third book in a series if the main character didn't work.

One of the other things that Gunn has done so well is convey the bleakness of a civil war. With Farlight plunged into civil unrest we get a street view of events and I can fully believe that this would happen. It feels both depressing and frightening to know that, although this is fiction, this is the sort of thing that would happen given the chance, that people would behave like this. What makes this hit home even harder is the casual way Sven shrugs it off - he's seen worse and has lived through it. This just makes me realise that despite the enjoyment I've had from reading the Death's Head books, both Sven and the stories are dark entities, but Gunn has used them to give us good, entertaining stories.

To be completely honest, this wasn't as good as the previous two, but that's not to say it isn't good - it is. I enjoyed the new political aspects here but felt that, overall, they detracted from the enjoyment of reading from Sven's view. The ending has been left in such a way that it could go many places from here - all of which could deliver more of everything that makes the Death's Head novels so good.