Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 November 2008
I bought this book the other day and i started reading it as always with McNab his books spring to life in the first few pages. As for the content it is well worth a read for those budding McNab fans out there that have followed the life and troubles of the famous character Nick Stone. It was well worth the wait and hopefully Stone will continue to be the focal of McNabs books

Awesome
on 3 November 2014
I feel sorry for Nick Stone every time he thinks things are going good it turns out to be the opposite!! He never knows who to trust anymore, but then again who can he really ever trust I suppose you will have enemies in the job he did!! Still scintillating as always, never want to put them down until I've read every page!!!
on 27 May 2015
Normally love Andy's stuff and this book started off so well but gradually became more and more far fetched I started to struggle to maintain interest. Had I not been on holiday with plenty of free time I probably would have given up.
on 20 November 2008
Having read all the Nick Stone novels I have lately become less excited about new releases but as always I will buy it straight away and have it read within a few days.
With the last few books I have felt a little disappointed with McNabs offerings, but half way through this book I really felt that McNab had got back to his original best. In some ways I was thinking that i was in for a similar sort of read to Remote Control or Crisis Four, I love to read about how Stone prepares and plans for his tasks. But unfortunately my optimisim was met with the realisation that I was going to be let down.
It seemed that sometimes McNab would go into some detail on some things and then other times just use one sentence would be used where perhaps a little more detail would've been nice. I sometimes lost the sense of time within the story, I thought one piece of text followed on from another but then realised there was quite a time change.
It sounds like I'm a grump but I hanker for a novel in the same mould as Remote Control, Crisis Four or Firewall which i feel are McNabs best books to date. I still give it 4 out of 5 because it is still a good read. Also it's quite important that you have read the last novel at the very least to follow some of the story, if this is your first McNab book, read the others first otherwise half of what goes on, especially the relationship between Stone and Lynn, will not be as easy to follow.
Overall a good book which initially promises much but ultimately falls a little short of perfect.
Would also like to recommend a book by Duncan Falconer, The Protector.
on 14 January 2014
Aonther in the Nick Stone serries, and as always from McNab, a very good read. That he knows and understands the action and the effects of violence is obvious. This story twists and turns so much one never knows who is on Stone's side - and neither does he.
on 2 April 2010
I have read all of Andy McNabs other books so I thought I would buy this one as holiday reading.

To be honest, its not really any different from the other books so if you enjoy them this will appeal to you.

The basic plot is about a former SAS trooper who in the past has worked with MI5 (The firm). When on holiday in Ireland Nick finds a bomb under his car (as you do) and then embarks on the most incredible journey trying to find out who was responsible. Is it the firm clearing up loose ends or is it some terrorists who Nick has upset in the past?

There is plenty of action, lots of violence, spy trade craft etc and a plot that is very fast moving which keeps you turning the pages.

Whilst it was a good page turner, the plot is so far fetched its farcical. Nick is one of those invincible warriors who always ends up killing the bad guys and saving the good guys. Its only once you finish the book that you sit back and think, how did he do all of those things on his own and how on earth did the bad guys follow him and track him.

That said I am sure I will end up buying the next Andy McNab book but I hope the plot is slightly more plausible.
on 29 April 2016
Having read all but two of the Nick Stone series, I can say that this ticks all the boxes. McNab takes us on his holidays with him again, this time to Italy and knits this in with his military experiences in other locations. What I enjoyed about this story is that Stone loses the baggage that becomes very tedious in some of the other novels and gets on with the action. Brilliant.
on 3 February 2009
After reading McNab's tenth book, Crossfire, I was looking forward to reading the new addition to his Nick Stone series. Like the other 10 books, Stone is in the thick of it, possibly to do with his actions in Crossfire. This is a typical McNab book: full of action. This book is a really enjoyable book. Stone goes from country to country trying to find out who is trying to kill him. It's well worth a read. A must have for McNab fans
on 23 April 2013
Quick delivery and great seller

If you have not read these books, start with the first one. Gritty hero who gets it wrong but saves the day.. Love em all. If you do enjoy these and have not read Lee Childs "Reacher" books do it.
on 30 June 2014
A somewhat disappointing effort from Andy McNab. He is a better writer than many give him credit for but I am worried he is producing too many books too soon and wonder if the next stop is collaborating with someone else as per: James Patterson and Clive Cussler. The story 'could' have been very good but the book ambled for three quarters before getting into the heart of the plot but we were subjected to two page chapters (Patterson weakness) and nothing really flowed to the point I was wanting to finish it regardless of the outcome. One question to ask, have the Nick Stone books run their course? I hope not as I am sure McNab has a wealth of stories from real life he could use as a basis but he needs to plan the books better and get back to detail, plot, sub-plot and a fluidity to the story not just churning them out as so many authors appear to be doing to meet publisher quotas.