on 1 January 2016
I must state that the Troy trilogy are the only David Gemmell books I've ever read. But I couldn't possibly imagine his other books being any better.
The characters from the Troy legend are brought out in an incredibly intelligent and creative way with a well paced story that keeps your interest all the way through.
For fans of historical fiction or people who want the Iliad being recreated in 3 marvellous books then these are a must.
on 9 May 2008
This is book, and indeed a trilogy ,that deserves many more than the 5 stars Amazon allow me to award. It is written with a pace, humanity and realism that most authors can only aspire to.

Many of the other reviewers of this book have commented on Mr Gemmell's passing and the major contribution to his legacy of his wife Stella. I can only add that the Mrs Gemmell's contribution links seemlessly with that of her husband and together they have written one the best historical trilogies ever. I was hooked from the first chapter of the first book and stayed there to the end. If you like Cornwell, Iggulden or Scarrow read this, it beats all three hands down.
on 3 April 2012
Probably the greatest story ever told and brilliantly written. The whole trilogy is brilliant, with Farewell to Kings being the best. Having over 200 historical novels in my collection, including Cornwell, Iggulden, Scarrow and Sansom. This for me, is without fault, everything about it is just wonderful. Wish I was there with the Trojan team - I know, easy to say - But if anyone reads it, tyey'll know what I mean, I hope. A true masterpiece from David and stella.
on 7 September 2007
To my mind David Gemmell had reached the height og his powers prior to his sad death last year. I agree with the positive comments here and wont repeat what they say but would add a comment or two of my own.

I am surprised to note the rather negative comments below for this reason. I would also add that I thought the Skilgannon duo were a fabulous return to the Drenai saga. The overlooking of the ruins of Dros Delnoch was masterly as was the duplicitous nature of the Queen. Druss was arguably his most popular character so I will happily forgive him for bringing him back.

So far as Troy is concerned, I thought this was a fitting end. It's David's take on the poem of course and he makes a number of changes. Some people may miss the point of the series and the thought process behind the changes. Overall, the characters are classically Gemmell-esque and delightfully familiar for that reason. I liked the way that characters you would normally expect to see more of were a little less at the forefront as it added to the feeling that this was a different approach to the legend. There are many other attempts to read if the same old story is what you want to enjoy.

It also nicely draws upon the desires and 'politics' of bronze age kingdoms. People...Kings thouhgt in a very different fashion where in more modern language -'he dissed me!', is as good a reason for war as any (and perhaps the best!). Maybe some bronze age Kings were stupid in today's eyes.

Oh, and by the way, people of a certain importance receive what are known as 'Advance reading copies' of books, hence early reviews.
7 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2010
This is my favourite series of books ever. The characterization is fantastic - far exceeding any other author I can think of. You really care about each and every character - even if they only enter the story for half a page or less. Also, the way Gemmell cleverly weaves the original story with his own imagination is breath-taking. I particularly liked how Helen was a plain girl who died heroically and was, therefore, said to be beautiful by the soldiers around her who could only appreciate womanly courage and virtue in terms of beauty - genius!

Another highlight was the scene with the half-wild stallion near the end of book two. I could hardly read it as my eyes were blurred with tears.

I like Gemmell's other work but, in my opinion, those books don't come close to this masterpiece.

All I can say is thank you Stella Gemmell for finishing this beautiful series. It would have been a travesty to literature for the series to be left without a conclusion.
on 19 November 2007
I had waited ages for David to write another 'historical' fantasy - and just when it looked like my wish was granted, he was taken from us.

I was deeply impressed by the first two parts. It's 'Troy' - but not as you know it. David has never been one to follow convention, and true to form, he re-invents the Trojan myths and characters with style and flair - and with an uncanny air of authenticity.

I will admit some trepidation before starting this final instalment - how far had David got before his passing - and would Stella be able to finish it convincingly?

Fortunately, my doubts were totally unfounded - The final book is Stunning. It reads superbly, all of the many complex plots are tied up neatly, and as others have said, I struggled to find where David left off and Stella began. Indeed, I would go so far as saying that the Troy trilogy is possibly the best work that David (and Stella) has produced.

I have to say a huge "thank you" to Stella for finishing this book in a way that David would have been proud. It is a story that deserved to be finished, and the ending is just superb. The emotional closing scene is almost a metaphor David and Stella Gemmel themselves.
on 8 February 2009
I picked up a copy of this book from a charity shop and have to say it was a very good read. Only now after reading the other reviews on here do I appreciate why there were two authors listed on the cover. Sad to hear that David passed away, but great work from Stella. I shall now go shopping for more of his works.
on 3 July 2008
I realise that the last part in this absorbing triolgy had to be finsihed off by Stella Gemmell following David's untimely death. Although other reviewers suggest that this is seemless, I beg to dissagree. The final part of the triolgy is well crafted and brings a touch of refreshing, imagined "realism" to the tale of Troy's downfall. However, the storyline falls flat towards the end. Clearly, David Gemmell had a longer work in mind. Perhaps, even another book or series of books, charting the mythical rise of Rome (the "Seven Hills" of his story) in the manner of the Aeneid, just as the Trojan War triolgy is broadly based on the Iliad. We shall never know and that is a shame because that story is one which would have benefited from a re-telling by someone with David Gemmell's obvious talent.
That notwithstanding, there are a number of other loose ends such as the fate of Moses - yet another series of books which we shall never see. Oh well! Enjoy what we have.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 December 2007
This is a brlliant conclusion to the TROY trilogy, and also to David Gemmell's legacy.

This novel is just as good as the previous two in the trilogy, packed with myths, legends and some great action and adventure.
The battle scenes in this book are brilliant, I particularly liked the battle between Hektor and Achilles, so much better than the Hollywood version.

If your new to the worlds of David Gemmel or not interested in the fantasy fiction genre then this trilogy is a great place to start, you never know you might just love his work and want to read more.
If that is the case then I heartily recommend Legend and Waylander,enjoy!

On a personal note I would like to thank Stella Gemmell for finishing her husbands legacy and for doing it so well, I even shed a tear reading the epilogue. THANK YOU!

I hope this review was of some help to you.
on 27 October 2007
In many ways this was a bittersweet book, as knowing it was the last from one of my favourite authors. I thought the book read very well and stayed true to DG's typical from the heart, feet firmly on the ground style of writing. I can only imagine the emotions that Stella went through finishing the novel, but it was a fine effort and a better send off I could not think for David. When or when will the snobbish British writing establishment acknowledge one of it's best and more popular authors??? I hope that Stella attempts to continue her writing and look forward to her next effort.