Customer reviews

on 13 January 2010
My first David Gemmell book was "Shield of Thunder" and I was blown away, I was gutted when I googled the author's name to see that he had passed away, I had, for years, overlooked his books when searching for something in the library but not anymore. I was delighted when one day I walked in to my local library and found "Troy: Fall of Kings" on the shelves. I instantly grabbed it ensuring that no one had seen me and checked it out at the desk before heading straight home to read it.

I couldn't put it down, eager to see how Banocles and Kaliades got on in this final installment and, alas, the final book to EVER be worked on by someone who is now far and away my favourite writer. I loved it so much that I bought it from amazon after finishing the borrowed one, this was definitely a keeper!

David Gemmell is an unrivalled writer in this field and seems to have a fantastic ability to show the humourous side of war, the soldiers and their grim humour which can make you laugh even whilst you bite your nails waiting for the impending end, especially with the long running subtle joke through the series I will not reveal it as I don't want to spoil anything but lets just say it is to do with the oracle's vision for Agammemnon "The last king of the Golden City will be Mykene" when I eventually pegged onto this I laughed alot.

The best gift this sadly missed writer (with post-humous help from his widow) could have left his adoring fans is this end to the series. Continuing in true Gemmell style he drew me in to this story and I experienced the highs, lows and adrenaline the characters felt and the plot Gemmell puts forward is a far more plausible one than the Homerric Illiad it was probably conceived from. Buy this book, you won't be disappointed.
on 9 September 2016
Great trilogy, would highly recommend, just start with the first in the series, Lord of the Silver Bow.
on 20 March 2017
excellent
on 27 July 2017
One of the best trilogy books ive ever read.
on 22 August 2017
One of the best stories I have ever read in my life.
I could read it over and over and not get bored.
on 14 December 2013
Bought this for my husband who is a huge David Gemmell fan. He loved the book, loved the series and highly recommends them to everyone.
on 20 August 2017
Fantastic, and very well written too.
on 3 August 2017
Excellent read
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2007
Troy: Fall of Kings is a fitting and spectacular end to David Gemmell's acclaimed Troy trilogy. It is in this volume that all the really famous parts of the Troy legend are described, although don't expect it to be all as the legend dictates - as Odysseus tells us, story tellers make lies from truth and truth from lies.

This book is masterful - it makes you hope that this is how it was, and not Homer's suggestion. The characters developed through the first two books in the trilogy are exposed here in all their glory, as emotions run high, battles are fought, strategies and tricks are played, and people's worlds tumble down. It picks up the story with the Mykene and their king Agamemnon plotting to move in on Troy in order to wrestle King Priam's treasury away from him, and ends in the aftermath of the great siege, encompassing so many vivid scenes of the type David Gemmell is famous for.

The book was finished by David's wife Stella after his death in 2006, but it would be impossible to tell where he stopped and she started, because the writing, characters and plot line are unmistakably Gemmell. The love for brutal and engaging fight scenes, for heroes and villains who merge together, for wit and plot twists, and for scenes which make you laugh and then cry within a minute or two of each other. And also the love for the little details which make a reader go 'ahh', or chuckle to themselves as the events of history link together before their eyes. In this book, for me, it is the character of Gershom and the settlement at Seven Hills which make me think completely of Gemmell and the reasons why I have been reading his books almost exclusively for the past ten years.

This is a simply brilliant end to an epic tale of the age of heroes - it has all you could want from a novel of this genre, and I can only thank Stella for finishing it, and David for giving me so much to think about over the years.
on 30 September 2007
David Gemmells'untimely death before this work was completed was tragic for lovers of truly great heroic fantasy. Luckily Stella was there to complete the Troy saga, and what a wonderful job she made of it too. This trilogy is as fine a telling of the Troy saga as you will find with some fabulously different and credible interpretations of the traditionally told story.I loved every moment with this book and it saddens me that there will be no more from this wonderful author.
Gemmells'writing had, since Legend, gone from strength to strength over the years and this book stands as a fine testament to a great writer.
One of a rare breed of fantasy writers who could say as much in 3 pages as many so called top authors spend a chapter telling you,David [and Stella]at once draw you into their world of the age of heroes where you find yourself living the tale. The mark of a great storyteller.
Readers of Gemmell could do worse than try Joe Abercrombies' novels "The blade itself" saga, a new author full of the promise I saw in Gemmells early tales.