on 8 February 2003
Whe I saw that there was a fourth Botany book available I was dubious - the Eosi had been defeated, Kris and Zainal were happy with their children, Botany had medics, electricity and space shuttles - what more could there be to say!?
Well it turned out that there was plenty to say, and this book continues the tale of the residents of Botany as they continue to build their world - no longer as captives, but as a free planet, realising that they are actually in a better position that Earth itself, which has suffered from the years of Catteni domination and destruction.
This book follows Kris, Zainal and all the characters from the previous books as they return to Barevi to bargain for the goods that Earth desperately needs, that have been looted by the Catteni - goods that are useless to the Catteni, but vital to the revival of Earth.
There's a lot more in this book too, new characters and interesting twists to the existing ones, but I wouldn't want to spoil things for you by telling all the secrets!
I have to admit to being a bit of a McCaffrey fan, and, having read the first three books I was always going to read this one! However, this is a really good continuance of the story, it brings in new themes and situations and is anything but a retelling of what has gone before.
I would heartily recommend this book if you have enjoyed the previous three in the series, if you haven't read any of them yet I would say read them in order - this is definitly a story that builds on what has gone before!
on 9 May 2002
The Catteni are free of the Eosi at last, but are not keeping their agreement with the Botanists. Zainal and Kris go on another voyage together with their friends to liberate various items stolen from Earth.
This book is definately leading on to another as the story is not resolved. There is still no sign of the Farmers and they will have to be in the next release. It was a good book and you get to know Zainal's sons a lot better. There are a lot of things that happen when they go back to Earth. Definately a good one for fans of the Catteni sequence.
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2003
I really enjoyed the first the three books of the Catteni sequence and was looking forward to this one, but was disappointed.
For much of the book it seemed that I was reading about a completely different set of characters as everyone seemed to have had their personality sucked out. The pioneering ethic was not necessary any longer I suppose, but that spirit had defined the characters for me and I felt they were pretty thin (and unsympathetic) without it. I also found the shift to multiple inner monologues, especially Zainal's, didn't work; a key element of his character is that he is inscructable and unfathomable, because he's an alien!
The involvement of the Diplomatic Corps from the last book seemed completely bizzare; and the apparent complete success of the 'tough love' approach to giving them a bit of discipline was clunkingly unconvincing.
The depiction of Earth was vaugely diverting, but not particularly engaging - the post-apocolpytic thing has been done hundreds of times before, with a lot more success. And I did wonder if the whole book was sponsored by Starbucks and the International Union of Dentists!
But the farcial crown jewels bit really put the tin lid on the whole thing!
on 20 May 2002
This is the 4th book in the Catteni series. I really LOVED the 3 first and was looking forward to this one. But alas, the caracters are flat and uninteresting, the story describes production of coffe and denistry more than the relationship between Chris, Zainal and their friends. You will not get to learn any more about Chris and Zainal and their 4 children or any of the rest of Botanys inhabitants. Half the book describes Earth after Catteni pillage an how dificult it is to survive without technology. The second half of the story revolves around traiding goods on Barevi. The caracters are stereotype and cartoony. Zainal is more or less described as a person with a very strong Jesus syndrome (saving the intelligent universe). I would like to, or rather hope for Mrs. McCaffrey to stop this now before she makes a parody of the series. If you have never read Mrs. McCaffrey before, please do not start on this book.
on 26 January 2016
This was a good fourth book in the Catteni series, with quite a lot of following on from the previous 3. It did have a fair amount of action, although I would have liked more. For example, why didn't the new Catteni government restore order to prevent violence and fire the old manager of the Barevi market with his corrupt behaviour? More could have been made of the threat posed by the old Eosi: they wouldn't have given in so easily. Why not more about the farmers? Alas, we shall never know, because this is the last in the series. It was nevertheless a good read.
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2003
But the farcial crown jewels bit at the end really put the tin lid on the whole thing!
on 4 May 2004
I found this book very disappointing, I found the first three to be excellent but maybe she should have stopped there.
I got to the end of the book and wondered why I had bothered reading, it had none of the qualities of the other three.
on 17 June 2011
Not actually bad. Just boring, tedious, monotonous, and a complete waste of space. Book 1 was excellent, 2 and 3 were good, 4 was, at best, ok. Finish at book 3 if I were you. This one is like an afterthought, a 200 odd page afterward that really only needed a few paragraphs.
on 6 October 2014
i'm not even sure why i bothered buying this book, the series had pretty much run out of steam by the third book and i wasn't that impressed with even the first one. i just felt there wasn't anywhere really for the story to go and that the plot was rather forced. all rather a shame as McCaffrey used to be one of my favourite authors
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2003
But the farcial crown jewels bit really put the tin lid on the whole thing!