on 20 January 2011
I have had become a big Tepper fan after reading her book Margarets...and when i had the chance to read Sideshow, the like increased to love....strangely however whilst Beauty was supposed to be her best work, it didnt stand out to me as it was promised to do by critical reviews....I appreciate her ideas in the book, but in itself it was a disappointment, so over all an average score. But dont let this discourage you from trying to read any of her other works(i am for now inclined to say more recent ones)because they offer a scope of fantasy, that whilst being surreal in its explanations through-out, applies to all manner of fundamental human questions - why are we here, who are we to become, and most of all, what are we now!

She is an excellent writer, and her text is always wholesome (certainly not a raging eco feminist as some would have liked to pin her as.)Her books or at least the few i read, have had left me with what seemed; another hole of questions in my life slightly fuller!
on 10 July 2001
Sheri Tepper succeeds in rewriting a handfull of very well known feary tales in a single book. It becomes one great story about beauty, ecology, good and evil and the relation between all those concepts. It was the first Tepper book, i read. I have since then bought and read most of her books. If you love fantasy (with a message), go on and read this one (and her other books too).
on 8 July 2015
Definitely not for me! Doom and gloom and then some more. Could not bring myself to read past the first quarter.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2001
This is the only Tepper I've read and I don't plan to read any more! Tedious, laboured, formless and unengaging. A chore. Forget it. Don't say I didn't warn you. Go read John Crowley's "Little, Big" instead.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse