Customer reviews

on 12 March 2014
I hardly like to write this review. Looking at the 5 star rating all the other reviewers have given this book I am amazed that I didn't like it at all. Maybe it is a "man's book" and that's why I didn't like it. I was really disappointed because one of my all time favourite books is "Boy's Life" also by Robert McCammon. I have to say I didn't finish' The Wolf's Hour". I got 25% the way through and could not read anymore of this stereotyped book. In the first chapter Robert McCammon should have been awarded "The worse sex in a book" award, followed by the worse fight scene. Sorry all you fans out there :-). I may have another go at reading it and maybe re-star this book but the first 25% was awful.
on 9 June 2002
I read this book, back in the 80's and it was unputdownable.
Set during the Second World War, its a rollercoaster ride from the sand dunes of Egypt, through to the white cliffs of dover (with a trip on a hunter's death train in-between). The hero, a russian werewolf (working for British Intelligence!! - his background is all explained in the book), is the only man to stop a German colonel from using a deadly new nerve weapon on the Allies.
Great plot.
I rate this as one of McCammon's best books (I've read a few) and one which you will not be disappointed with.
like werewolf stories, but when I first heard about this book, I thought that the plot sounded pretty far-fetched. Michael Gallatin is a sexy, handsome, debonair, and highly intelligent British spy, battling the Nazis. He is also a werewolf. Hmm, I thought, it just won't work. Well, I was wrong. This is a page turning, attention grabbing book that will simply not let the reader go, so engrossing and well-written a story does the author weave.

The author essentially tells two stories. One is the story of how Michael Gallatin became a werewolf and the man that would dare take on the Nazis. It is a powerful and sensitive telling of his formative years in Russia, weaving a mystical, magical tale. It is also a rip-roaring thriller of how Michael tangles with the Nazis to try and discover their super secret plot to destroy the Allies on D-day. Action packed and full of twists and turns, it is a hell of an adventure!

This is simply a superlative, well-written and suspenseful book that will take the reader by surprise. I simply could not put this book down! Bravo!
on 10 January 2012
Here is something that should appeal to fans of thrillers and horror. Author Robert R McCammon has masterfully blended the two genres by creating his central character Michael Gallatin, a Russian immigrant now living in Wales working for British Intelligence as an agent during the Second World War.

The action moves from the theatre of war: North Africa and Europe then back to Gallatin's upbringing in Russia. In this way the narrative keeps the reader hooked on his exciting and daring mission to find another agent with information vital to the Allied war effort whilst simultaneously informing the reader of the events and experiences that shaped him.

As the title suggests Gallatin is no ordinary individual, he is in fact a werewolf! This makes the novel interesting and original, what could have been a standard `boys own' war story is given a dark supernatural twist with a hero who uses his powers to assist him with his dangerous mission.

As the story unfolds it is clear that Gallatin will need all of his wits and years of experience to draw on as well as his abilities. There are also some colourful side-kicks to help him along the way as well as plenty of mysterious and alluring women.

The villains he finds himself up against are particularly nasty and include a sadistic game hunter, a high ranking officer and a scientist all sympathetic to the Nazi cause. With D-Day imminent and everything riding on the Allied invasion being a success Gallatin and his friends must foil the Nazi's sinister plans known only as `Iron Fist.'

This novel kept me hooked throughout and it works on both levels as a wartime thriller and horror story. McCammon has the same prose style as James Bond creator Ian Fleming so everything is given a vivid immediacy. It so easily could have entered the realms of farce but McCammon's execution and literary skill ensures that this is a first rate thriller with a nicely handled twist. I highly recommend adding this original thrill-fest to your Kindle collection.
on 23 January 1999
The wolf's Hour by Robert R McCammon provides a unusual twist on the werewolf genre with the central character being an English spy in Nazi Germany with the ability to change into a werewolf at will. The book moves at a frenetic pace, and although it sounds far-fetched it is extremely well-written with action, suspense, horror and love amongst it's pages.
An extremely readable and ultimately satisfying story.
on 3 November 2003
One of my all-time favourites, this book wonderfully combines a traditional piece of war-time espionage with the modern fairy-tale of the lycanthrope. Told in enjoyable past-present split, the book only suffers from a slow-ish mid-section, before accelerating towards a pulsating climax set against the background of one of our most famous pieces of history.
A well written piece of modern fiction that takes you on a rollercoaster of action and adventure, whilst adding a quality addition to the legend of the werewolf.
on 31 May 2007
Michael Gallatin, what a hero this guy is, even when he's not a Wolf!

Great from start to finish this is a must for any fan of action and/or horror. The WWII setting didn't appeal to me but the story, characters and action just leapt off the page. I'll certainly check out more of Mr McGammon's work.
on 7 December 2014
This is two stories in one. I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. The main plot is a fast paced, action filled Bondesque WW2 spy adventure where the main protagonist just happens to be a werewolf. The secondary story, told through flash backs is the tale of how a small boy, Mikhail Gallatinov, survived the murder of his family in the aftermath of the Russian revolution only to be rescued, if you can call it a rescue, by a pack of werewolves who: turn him and then rear him as one of their own. We follow this pack at intervals through various trials until they are eventually driven out of their isolated forest lair and Mikhail, now a young man, sets out alone to rejoin civilisation. We meet him at the outset of the novel as Michael Gallatin, the British spy.
Although the spy adventure is certainly entertaining, it's the story of how the young werewolf makes it all the way to England that I was more interested in learning about but that part isn't covered. I think it would have, for me anyway, made the more interesting read.
All in all, I found it an easy read; a light distraction and it certainly kept me turning the pages or tapping the screen, to be accurate. McCammon can certainly write action. I just can't help feeling he can write a bit more than that. In fact, having read 'Speaks the Nightbird' by the same author, I was a bit disappointed and feel, this is much weaker in terms of overall satisfaction. He seems to have gone for the comic book end of the adventure spectrum and hidden a better novel in the back plot.
Kindle copy good. If you like well written action sequences, you will enjoy it.
on 9 February 2009
I read this book a good few years ago and managed to lose my copy when we moved house. I missed it so much I bought another copy second hand. I have other books by Robert McCammon but this is definately my favourite. A good read, I was hooked within the first few pages. A twisty turn of plot and character. If you like a little paranormal mixed in with thrills and spys then read this book.
on 4 May 2006
I loved this book so much I now have it in my hardback "keep forever" collection. The story is visually powerful with loads of historical fact. Its a love story, with any unusual twist, the lead charachter has a dark secret. Fantastic, really enjoyable.