Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2013
I read the Necroscope books in my late teens/early twenties and absolutely loved them. Unfortunately they have been lost over time, but having spotted Lumley's work appearing on Kindle I had to grab this book.

It is as good, if not better, than I remembered. A fantastically written book with elements of cold war spies, cosmic horror, psychic powers and vampires......... which are most definitely not of the recent glittering type.

The editing and layout of the Kindle version is spot on, thanks! I shall be ordering the rest in the series and will be particularly looking forward to book IV, which I remember being the best of the series.
on 30 August 2014
One of the greatest, most original takes on the vampire myth since Bram Stoker's Dracula. Combining dangerous, truly scary vampires, Cold War espionage, psychically talented human heroes and villains and a tapestry of plot which is intricate but satisfying in a way others rarely are.
This would be a five star rating but this particular binding and printing is quite poor, for a best selling book this imprint has the quality of a poor vanity publishing. But you can forget that, the atmospheric opening which sets the tone for the novel will have you hooked.
on 28 October 1999
mgzombie's review says it all really, I can only add: If only they'd make it into a film, then everyone could be converted (and stop borrowing my copies!)!
on 19 November 2004
Horror, Sci-fi and Fantasy all rolled into an engrossing tale of mystery and en-earthly events happening in a clueless world. To the ordinary world the events that E-Branch and Harry Keog deal with could only be imagined as part of a long lost Myth.
(Imagine Spooks the TV series but the terrorist are vampires! and the Spies all differently talented ESPers!) Vampires Re-invented = WAMPHYRI!
on 23 December 2013
I was introduced to Lumley's work back in the 1990s and have enjoyed this first book tremendously. No plot spoilers here but think of the secret service and a special agent who has the ability to somehow pick up thoughts of the dead. Of course, this was written during the end of the Cold War and in this novel the Soviets have their own special agent. His method for reading thoughts is...different to say the least. Great plot with a twist. It's easy to pick up and read.
on 8 September 2013
Recommended by a friend. Not a bad read but seemed to be a lot of exposition that is hopefully setting up the next books.
on 16 December 1999
I have had this book in my bookshelf for years, (literally years), and due to moving it was the only book available for me to take on a long journey. I started reading it and was finished in record time, the book grabs you from the first pages and takes you on a whirlwind ride through ancient myths to up to date esp-ionage. This is a must for all readers of vampire literature. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next episode.
on 17 April 2001
I heard of this series a long time ago but the lurid covers and the OTT blurb made me write it off as some sort of shallow gore-fest. I finally bought it because I had a long journey and could not find anything else in the station bookshop and I was curious; I am glad I did. Yes it has some fairly gory sequences but this is good exciting writing that is very hard to put down. The best description I can come up with off the top of my head is 'James Herbert writes a horror spy thriller'. I must say that the books that follow on from this trilogy still look pretty tacky but maybe they will surprise me too.
Rob
on 21 January 2003
I found this to be one of the best books I've read in a long time.
The detailed backgrounds of each character and the way the story slowly unfolds is truly a work of art. I was unable to put this book down and since then have read the entire series; I really enjoy science fiction and horror so this was an ideal read having a mixture of both! Usually I'm unable to concentrate on a story long enough to read the entire thing (I get bored) but I was unable to put this book down and took every opportunity to read more.
on 24 January 2015
Imagine cold war spy novels the likes of which John Le Carre might write, and throw into that supernatural powers and vampires. The result is Necroscope!

This novel is the first in the series and introduces us to both Harry Keough and the sinister dark vampiric forces striving to be released from centuries of imprisonment.

Dark, quirky and a great read.