Customer reviews

on 20 June 2014
I had very much enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but this one, having run along fairly well to begin with, seemed to lose its way a little. The pillow talk between our hero and his new young girlfriend seemed wholly out of character and the ending seemed a little chaotic and somehow out of kilter with the test of the tale.

It was still a good read though and I am looking forward to reading the next six.
on 18 January 2016
Deighton really is no Le Carre, but I have been working my way through the Sampson books on Kindle. The odd twist makes up for some pretty pedestrian writing. I also quite like the 1980s vibe; so I suppose a little nostalgia too.
on 28 May 2013
The first book in the trilogy, I bought by mistake (Berlin Game) and found it difficult to get into but once I was (into it) I couldn't put it down. This book I got straight into and again, I couldn't put it down
on 27 December 2012
I have read a lot of Len Deighton's book and enjoy the combination of an excellent spy thriller in what is n ow a historical conext. Thoroughly recomended.
on 14 March 2013
As with (Berlin) Game and (Mexico) Set, the books would have benefitted from a map or two.

Saying that Len Deighton presents locational detail well and the historical settings and references work OK given that fortunately he avoids technical details which can age a work to the detriment of the readers enjoyment.
on 20 August 2016
Gripping, suspense, detailed and descriptive. A fantastic story in this highly tense series. An almost factual account of a cold war story. Frightening to think that whilst this is fiction it is no doubt based on true events that took place during this period in history.
on 8 September 2013
A friend suggested I get these books for my husband to read on holiday so now I find myself writing this review for him as he is too absorbed in the Hook, Line and Sinker books now! Never known him to read so much unless it is to do with work so I am really pleased.
on 26 February 2015
... the next trilogy more than enough ambiguity. Mr D manages to depict the undercurrents and ambiguities as prominently as bold action, by allowing the reader's dialogue with the characters to inform their understanding. Genius!
on 5 August 2013
I first read this twenty odd years and have rediscovered them now I'm loading up my Kindle. They stand the test of time, well written human stories about families that just happen to live in Berlin et al during thhe cold war.
on 17 August 2016
Slightly more interesting than Books 1 and 2.Still a lot of words with little story. On the whole this has been a disappointing series. The TV series was much better.