Customer reviews

on 30 April 2003
I read a Man Cannot Cry when it was first published about 15 years ago. It's the story of Than Profane an "All American" aethiest Doctor working in Los Angeles who travels to Africa to his estranged Quaker missionary father's death bed. Following the death of his father the mission is desperate for a doctor and Than Profane reluctantly agrees to stay while they find a replacement. The book follows his own journey of enlightenment and portrays a 1960's Africa on every level, with stunning clarity. It's just a great shame that this has never been made into a film as it would surely be a blockbuster hit!
on 15 November 2011
I have just finished reading 'A Man Cannot Cry'. What a brilliant book I couldn't put it down and then felt bereft when I had finished it. It is so well written you feel as though you are there living through the dramas with the characters, and the main character Dr Than Profane just stays with you long after you put the book down. This is the best book I have read in a while. I would thoroughly recommend this book if you enjoy a good read that you can lose yourself in.
on 15 November 2011
The book is in very good condition considering its age!! The pages are a little yellow but that is all the wear that is visible. It was sent promptly and received days later. It put a smile on my Mum's face as she and I both love this book, a story that stays with you for ever, and a good one to re-read over and over, hence needing a new copy, as our original one was too worn to make it through another read.
on 7 January 2013
I have been searching for this book for years. It's such a soppy old romance set in Africa, but I've always loved it
on 16 January 2014
I have had a copy of this book for years, loads of tape as its been on many a holiday. love it.
on 11 January 2014
Thinking of buying another copy the one l have is second hand and is held together with a little tape now. This book is a fantastic read and l have read it several times, especially on holidays. l must have had the book for a good 10 years and lam very reluctant to let it go. Well written Gloria Keverne would make a great film.
on 12 January 2017
This is my all time favourite book. I read it the first time at the age of 12 living in Africa myself. I have been looking for a hard copy for a very long time.
on 5 September 2016
I read this book many years ago but lost my copy. i am so I have been ale to replace it.
on 5 February 2015
An absolutely brilliant book. Could not put it down. Have read it twice now