Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2004
I first purchased this book in aprox 1962, & am now on my 5/6 copy & am looking for a replacement, why?. Because this is a true story, I have been to the places in england, the french bocage, the ardenne, where so much of their action took place, I have seen, their training grounds, the beaches they landed on,the ground they fought over, their tanks now used as memorials in small french towns, their graveyards. I understand some of the type of people these tank crew were, & this account of three tanks & fifteen men is full of; fun, sadness, mystery, fear, guts, determination, grief, dispair, frustration when they watch their shells bounce of the opposing tanks, this book will take you from Regimental H.Q. to the Rhine through the full range of these emotions, it does this to me every time. My Father went onto the beach on June 12, this give me an account of what was happening around him during that time, something he would never speak of.
april 2016, I am now reading my original review written some years back, the same emotions are still with me as I read my comment.& I wish my Father (who was a platoon Sargeant) has spoken about those times, I am sure he must have gone through the same experiences these tank crews did, & the hope is my Grandsons never have to face these experience in their future. I have never understood why this book did not get made not a film, you are now unlikely to find this book..
on 3 November 2016
A first person story about a young tank commander in the second world war, with many episodes of innocence and incompetence, as well as terro, boredom and humanity as war rages around him and his troop of 3 tanks. It's realistic tone and telling of life in training and in a war zone makes for a good read.
on 22 April 2014
I purchased this book as it was written by my Grandfather's Squadron Leader. The book gave me an insight into the operations and conditions experienced by my Grandfather. The high rating was partly based on my personal interest in the story, more general reading would still be informative and enjoyable.
on 30 November 2016
I purchased this book as a teenager in the 1980s. The author's narrative style was amazing and he told a very real soldier's story with humility and humanity. The story (and the book) have stayed with me to this day.
on 27 October 2016
Excellent book, delivered on time & quality was as expected.
on 3 March 2016