on 22 October 2013
I do not read Pure Sci Fi books too often mainly Koontz/Herbert/King but, when told to get the Asimov series, I made the leap and found I could not put them down and ended up reading one after the other. These are excellent books and keep you interested all the way through the lifetime of the foundation series. I would recommed these to anyone who likes to read well written and gripping books. I have tried other since but no other author can keep me interested as Asimov did. I suppose it is dependent upon individual tastes and these are my cup of tea. Seller was excellent providing great service and delivery.
on 13 November 2013
I bought this book to complete my series, and what a series, even though poor Asimov was pestered by his publishers to write more more... when he did he did not rush it , he took his time and the quality is still there, obviously if you are interested in this book you have read some of them so carry on. remember pass your books on to the kids get them reading SF if you can too many hours on the IPad and no creative ideas from reading books makes jack a dull boy..Buy it its great
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't say it was gripping, I wouldn't say it was a page turner, it just plodded on, this is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5. But I did enjoy it never the less. I liked how the book shifted through time, 50 years, then 30 years, then 100 years, then finally 2 years. My favorite character was Salvor Hardin, and I loved how his section ended.

I think I will read next other Foundation books, mainly to see how it all fits together and ends. I would recomend this book to everyone who likes Sci-fi, because it is a classic, and it is different to what is on the shelves at the moment, I feel everyone should read at least one classic in their genre, in their life at some point.
on 31 May 2014
Read these three books many years ago when they were originally published.
I became a reader of sci Fi literally at my Father's knee where he would encourage and support me by explaining words and sometimes concepts that I was unsure of. On rereading I now remember how much pleasure they gave me.
For a modern reader the language is probably as dated as Jules Verne or Tolkien were to me then, but this should not detract from enjoying them. They are not Space Thrillers like so much of modern sci fi but are based on politics and economics on a Galactic scale, but you don't need a degree to understand and enjoy.
on 7 December 2016
I presume there is a reason why this is one of the most famous science fiction books.... it is excellent and written intellengtly
on 8 January 2014
I bought this as a present for my dad as an avid Asimov fan. He was so happy to receive it and loved it more because it was an early edition. For a second hand book, it was in lovely condition; no tears, stains or marks and it may as well have been his all along. I cannot remember much about the delivery or cost, but I do recall being pleased with both.
As someone who has only read a couple of Asimov stories myself, I can only say that what I have read is very enjoyable sci-fi. A reason for why his books have been made into equally enjoyable movies.
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2007
I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in science fiction and politics. I won't write a synopsis since other reviewers have already done that, but suffice to say that this book is short, easy to read and very thought-provoking, if a little dated.

While reading it, I kept wondering why no-one had ever made a movie out of it. It's ideal source material, with its strong plot and episodic narrative. It's like Star Wars for grown-ups. I guess the politics aren't to Hollywood's liking with its dual themes of control by religion and the avarice of royalty. Pity since it would make a truly wonderful film (or series of films). Maybe one day. In the meantime, read it!
on 21 March 2016
The young, prosperous Foundation gets noticed by the declining Galactic Empire and though more technologically advanced, it is outgunned by the military might of the Galactic Empire.
The Seldon Plan could predict future crises, the Foundation would encounter, when large groups of people were involved. The Mule, a mutant with unmatched psychic powers catches the Foundation by complete surprise...