on 18 July 2010
Weighing only 730g and measuring 13.5 x 21 x 2.5cm. this nice little book is portable. It is not exhaustive (but then it would be a massive book if it were!), for example only 2 types of bumble bee and 3 types of ladybird were listed. But in fairness it does say "featuring the mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates you are MOST LIKELY to see, as well as all the COMMON plants". So it leaves out the species that are less common and you're less likely to see, which can be frustrating; I found a beetle whilst walking that I couldn't find in this book.

It is not without its errors though...it says, about the Brown hare, that "males chase and box one another in spring" when in fact it's unreceptive females fending off passionate males. But all in all I think it's a great addition to my bookshelf and I'd recommend it as a useful basic ID guide.
on 20 June 2016
This is a bit more difficlut to find what you are looking for. It appears to be in no particular order and although the pictures are very clear, being photographs instead of drawings, their details are on the opposite page.
on 5 August 2011
This is a beautiful book with extremely clear photographs of British mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, butterflies, moths, insects, spiders, molluscs, trees, shrubs,flowers, grasses, rushes and toadstalls. Each photograph (6 - 10 per page) is accompanied by a short description and useful information. I would not be without this book and keep one copy in the car and one indoors. Brilliant!
on 26 May 2017
lovely reference book, would prefer more pictures of variations in male/female/juvinite/seasonal appearance.
on 20 February 2015
Saw this book in a cottage we stayed in and liked it so much for its ease and simplicity. The pages are laid out with colour pictures on one side and short descriptions linked on the other making it easy to use.
on 10 February 2011
This is a great book for any age. It is easy to read and easy to find things in it. I bought this as a replacement as my last one got wet!! and I just had to replace it. It is great if you see a bug,insect,plant or any kind of wildlife and want to know what it is and learn more about it.Every home should have a copy.It is as the title says "A Complete Guide"
on 5 February 2018
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 April 2016
This was a present for someone knew to nature watching and she is extremely pleased with it. It seems to tick all the boxes.
on 18 November 2017
This is a quick and comprehensive guide to British wildlife including plants fishes and insects. I had this book previously but lost it and found it so useful I had to get another.
on 24 May 2012
As reference books go ( and I`ve had quite a few over the years ! ) This little ( paperback dimensions ) book is very informative and helpful in many ways.
I primarily purchased with the intention of just leaving in my Caravan to refer to whilst touring but it seems to be finding its way back and to from home as well !
Need I say More !.