on 30 July 2002
I have quite a large library on flora and fauna but this is the book that is most frequently used for answering those day to day questions. It is not exhaustive, but that makes it portable and, with it's plastic cover and shiny pages, durable as well.
This book is perfect for just about everyone who has ever asked themselves 'I wonder what that is?' as a mysterious insect strolled across their petunias.
11 comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2000
This is a wonderful resource even if you don't have children! The pictures make it so easy to recognise what you are looking for, and the well written explanations really make you feel like you are learning something. Our children get so excited when they can put a proper name to something they have found, and they are developing a really sense of value for the creation we are part of.
on 1 May 2002
All the pictures of the same group of wildlife are on one page, enabling easy identification of what you have seen or found. The descriptions are brief but good and I think this is an excellent guide to british wildlife
on 1 February 2006
I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting a comprehensive guide. This book is very easy to use, each type of wildlife has its own section, eg birds, insects, wild flowers etc. Each section is fully illustrated with high quality photographs with easy to identify notes on the facing pages. With 18 different sections it covers most things one is likely to encounter when out in Britain and would be an ideal general guide for field trips or camping. I have several other books on flowers, trees, birds but this book could replace them all on most occasions. Recommended.
on 6 April 1999
An excellent book for reference, especially in your garden. I especially found it useful in identifying the birds in my garden and the wild flowers in the local hedgerows.
on 4 February 2006
This book is a great field guide to all birds, mammals, insects, amphibians, plants and trees in the U.K. It features colour photos of each species and a description.
It is invaluable to any nature loving person and is small, so will fit easily in a rucksack.
on 22 August 2006
When you are out for a walk it is inconvenient carrying one book on birds, one on trees, one on wild flowers, etc. I wanted a book which would cover all these area - and this book fits the bill admirably (in fact it covers many more areas besides). The only minor criticism I would make is that the section describing trees includes a photograph of either the whole tree or a leaf/fruit for each variety. To assist identification it would have been more useful to have included both items; with the relatively small number of trees included in the book this would not have added much to its bulk. However, do not let this deter you from purchasing this excellent book!
on 10 September 2012
I had purchased this book for my 2 nature loving children and as this had good reviews thought this would be ideal. The book itself it set out lovely and it has great pictures in there. We took this book out on our usual country walk and we found there were loads we couldn't identify as they weren't in the book. In the end my children got fed up with trying to look up things we found as they weren't in there. I don't think it is worth the money, but the service and speed we received the delivery we couldn't grumble with.
on 8 November 2006
This is a beautiful photoguide which has proven really useful in identifying insects, animals and plants that i see on my travels. I keep it in my car's glovebox so that where ever I am I have access to it.

There are over 150 double page spreads with a full page of wonderful, bright, close up photos on the right and names and a short description / habits of all the creatures/plants shown on the left.

I am always getting phone calls from my friends asking to borrow it to find out what they have seen.

A really enjoyable buy!
VINE VOICEon 8 January 2013
A lovely book if you are only interested to find out what you have seen in the garden or in the outside world.For that the photographs are just great,but if one would like to know a little more i.e. habitat or even breeding times then the book is very lacking.I imagine people take this book out with them to look up things they come accross,but I would find that too big a book to slip into my pocket,so rather waiting to use it until I come home.