Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2000
I am currently studying A-Level English at college. I originally borrowed this book from my tutor to help me with my work as I was having problems when it came to literary analysis. The book goes into great depth in explaining the rules of English Grammar and its complexities in a clear and concise format, which I personally found easy to understand. I have read and used other books as a point of reference, such as 'Grammar Structure and Style' by Shirley Russell but I found that they were too complex to use as a quick tool and although the latter is another excellent book, when it comes to ranking them for ease of use, the book by Shirley Russell does not even come close. I would recommend this book to anybody who is having difficulties with English grammar or anybody who simply wants to correct the grammar that they use in day-to-day life. This book is also useful for those who are learning a foreign language and are having difficulties in relating the grammar of the new language to that of their own. This is something that I have experienced first hand. Overall, I would recommend anybody who wants help with grammar to purchase this book as it is one of the best that I have seen.
0Comment| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2005
As someone who is only just being introduced to teaching Basic & Key Skills I have already found this book invaluable. I have had it a short time but already referred to it on several occasions whilst undertaking my own course work and homework. I thought I was good at grammar but this puts the rules and general grammar details in to a way that is so easy to follow. It all makes more sense to me now.
on 11 November 2001
I used ' Rediscover Grammar' by David Crystal while studying for a degree in English Language at York St John's. It was wonderfully clear helpful and useful throughtout my studies.
We need more books like this.
on 20 December 2010
An excellent book for anyone interested in grammar as it's used. Crystal has a direct and accessible style, wearing his considerable learning very lightly. This is both a useful reference book, for those wanting to check up the difference between participles and particles, as well as being a handy guide for those wanting an introduction to English grammar to aid their own writing.
on 5 March 2014
This compact book is a real source of straight forwards to the point information on grammar. Highly portable and a fabulous ready reckoner. Used in conjunction with other grammar reference materials it forms a formidable part of the student's arsenal of reference material for the course.
on 7 May 2008
I used Rediscover Grammar back in 1999 as a first point of entry into the subject before I trained for a stint as an ELT teacher. Clear and concise, it opened my eyes to the world of grammar and quickly got me to grips with it. I have browsed through many books on grammar since, but I still think this is best. Whatsmore, 12 years on from publication, the presentation still looks fresh.
on 15 January 2012
I was recommended this book by a teacher as I was having little breakdowns not knowing how to finish my work - 'should I write it this way or that?'- I was in endless deadlock. I love this book, I've no idea if it will improve my writing (I will find out when editing my dissertation), but I feel happier understanding what writing is, and how it works.
on 22 November 2011
Rediscover Grammar is a Good book ... Simple and plain. It offers cool Cartoon to entertain and figure out better the English ... a 'must read' book ... in my modest opinion. I consider that it have other companion books like English Encyclopedia and Dennis Freeborn 'A Course book of English Grammar' ...
on 31 December 2010
This little gem has all the information you need at the tip of your fingers on grammer. It is very well written. The best thing I like about it is that it fits into my hand bag so that I am never without during my teaching sessions. Ideal for students and teachers.
on 1 August 2006
This book would be helpful for someone to re discover their grammar but not to someone trying to understand it simply and easily. It is a short book but not a simple book.