Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 February 2008
Barcode: 9780582823105

So, like most people, i used CGP notes while doing my GCSE's and found them mostly good (especially on the poem anthologies) - the humour though, while sometimes fun on many occasions got in the way of serious learning and the notes were brief when dealing with full length plays and novels.

Step in York Notes. For my A Level English i got one of these books for each of my set texts and they were massively helpful in prompting class discussions, writing essays and revising for the exams. They offer detailed chapter summaries and analyse them in an extremely informative way.

There's quotes too, maybe a little too few, but the ones they pick out are good and then at the end of the book you get a wealth of extra info relating to characters, themes and symbolism. If you're an A Level English student or a parent who wants their kids to do well, i'd get these notes - they make your life a lot, lot easier.
on 5 January 2005
I used the York Notes Advanced on F.Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" whilst studying my AS levels, and whilst I found it useful for glossing over some of the easy issues, I didn't feel it went into enough depth in some areas. However, I find York Notes Advanced to be one of the best reference books around and would recommend getting one for any book you may study.
on 9 May 2002
This study-aid is a concise, insightful basis upon which to study F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel. Designed for A-Level's it is, nevertheless, extremely helpful to those studying at degree level. I'd also recommend it to anyone who is interested in the text - it really is informative.
There are several ommisions (minor points really) that I would have included in the study-aid (but then The Great Gatsby is literally packed with meaning and it would be impossible to include everything), but, on the whole, this is a sound book and very helpful.
on 2 December 2001
This is a methodical and orderly set of notes which serves to get students of A-Level English Literature through their A2 exams. Cowley gives a detailed summary of each chapter and follows it with a break down of different characters and themes, as well as close analysis on key passages. It also discusses The Great Gatsby in its historical context, which I am finding very useful.
on 28 January 2008
The book gives an acceptable brief summation of each chapter; however, advanced analysis is quite limited, and bizzarely, only the even chapters are analysed. In all, it is quite a poor resource for more advanced study.
on 20 June 2016
This guide is must better than the Philip Allan guides, as it shows much more in-depth analysis and provides a wider range of interpretations for different quotable literary commentaries and professors.
on 13 October 2015
Useful for studying Fitzgerald's chef d'oeuvre.
There is a more modern version available for A level students, but this one is more advanced and compact, so probably more suited to undergraduate study.
Recommended.
on 29 January 2013
I'm currently studying The Great Gatsby for AS English Literature and thought this would come in handy for when my coursework write-up comes around. I'm so far impressed with how much detail this text guide goes into and I love how there's extra points in the margins for context etc. I plan on going through and making my own notes, too, and there's plenty of room for that.
Unfortunately it's not as fun and sarcastic as what you'd get from a CGP guide (I'll probably get their version as well), it's much more informative and formal. I think this is absolutely essential for determining success at A Level English Lit.
on 2 February 2012
i got this book (or an earlier edition of it) when i was studying for my Higher English exam, I also got the study guide for Othello. Both were excellent and got me through my coursework and my exam. Just ordered the notes on A View From The Bridge for my brother who is doing his Higher English at the moment. York notes are great when combined with classroom study and input from a good teacher and although as other people have said there are some parts which are not covered in great detail, they give a basic starting point for discussion and analysis.

I would definitely recommend these notes to anyone who is studying.
on 31 October 2013
Good for studying the novel. Would recommend for anyone doing Gatsby for Higher English. Summaries & analysis of each chapter are helpful.