Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2015
I had to buy this book for university, and so far it has been great. It is a collection of essays written by theorists within their chosen fields and offers critiques and close readings of varied texts. The language is a little dense so I wouldn't recommend this for someone that is new to critical theory, but once you get past that, it is a very interesting read!

If I didn't need this for a class then I probably would not have bought it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 August 2011
Helpfully arranged historically and thematically, the contents section is typical of the whole. Lodge has set out to cover the wide and varied range of modern criticism and to do so with the professorial certitude and depth typical of his other scholarly texts.
Its index and contents sections read like a "who's who" of structuralism and semiotics from the defining beginnings by Ferdinand de Saussure in which he defined and dissected the linguistic sign - its difficulties, range, its personal and social nature together with the physical creation of language to the modern great, Umberto Eco, whose essay looks carefully (twenty-four closely examined sections) at what it takes to make a cult book or movie, in this case, "Casablanca", before moving on to Allen's "Bananas" with its visual allusions to Eisenstein's Odessa steps section in "Potemkin". His list includes the expected and old favourites - Barthes's "Death of the Author", Foucalt's "What is an Author", Jacobson's "Linguistics and Poetics" - as well as some less well-known (to me at least), e.g. Mitchell's "Femininity, narrative and psychoanalysis" and de Man's "Resistance to Theory".
A companion to his earlier "20h Century Literary Criticism: a Reader", it is an enjoyable and fairly comprehensive overview of the subject thoughtfully edited.
on 9 October 2013
Fabulous book! At first I was hesitant about buying it for my univeristy module on critical perspectives as I didn't really enjoy reading literary criticism , however this book has completely changed my opinion. I am now proud to say that I love Literary criticism !!! I will definitely be keeping this after univeristy.
on 1 September 2015
I've not yet had chance to peruse the text, however I can say that it arrived dirty (which may or may not have occurred in transit) and the binding concerns me. The binding glue is thick in the centre of the book but very, very thin (I'd daresay nonexistent) towards the outer pages, leaving me concerned as to the book's durability.
on 27 March 2013
Great, book needed for uni studies, good for those who are interested in creative writing as I needed this for my English Degree.
on 28 November 2013
Delivery was excelent, it arrived in the fortnight as scheduled. Packaging was excelent too, it arrived safely. Not much into critics, I wouldn't recomend this book to be read as a hobby but it works fine to support Literature studies.
on 1 February 2016
An extensive resource for critical and theoretical literary studies. Definitely a dense read.
on 27 November 2015