on 24 September 2009
As a social historical enthusiast, I found this book really interesting. It make many links and illuminated certain gaps in my knowledge. I am pleased to say these links connect to art, social customs, religion etc, it has helped to explain ideas taken for granted or just glossed over.

Likewise it explodes thoughts and conceptions about childhood/adulthood, how children were viewed, their responsibilities and family dependency on their earnings. Modern childhood is now imploding and returning to early expectations, but not by adults choosing, but by children themselves.
on 16 May 2015
Quite an academic approach and not really what I was looking for as an amateur history buff but I can see that it might suit history students as an aid to learning. A little verbose in my opinion and not particularly well written as the writers thought process seems disordered leaving the reader 'jumping' between times and events. There are many references to other sources which I found intrusive and which prevented a ''fluid read. Having said that, the author has clearly researched his subject well and the book offers a fresh insight into the way childhood has been perceived through the ages.
on 20 January 2011
This is a very useful and insightful overview of views of the child in western society; very useful source text for my Ba Early Years Degree.