on 16 July 2015
Good production
on 10 April 2004
I brought this book to help me on my AS King Lear coursework. It was such a help! It had all the major themes and ideas as well as language and act-by-act notes. It has some complex ideas but easy to work through. The feature I like the most is that in the margins of the books it has further reading or websites to go to for more information on the topic you're looking at. This study guide is a must!
on 25 August 2013
I ordered the King Lear York Notes because the were recommended by my teacher whilst studying my English Literature A-Levels. This york notes in particular I found to be extremely helpful. It gives summaries of every scene, helping to make sure that you know the play well and it also provides a commentary on every scene, giving ideas for essay writitng and what the events in the scene suggests etc. The notes also have sections on themes within the play, characterisation, Shakespeare and context. I would recommend this particular York Notes to anyone studying King Lear because it helped me so much and friends who also purchased it also reccommend it.
on 7 February 2016
Says Lear was the King of England. He most certainly was the king of Britian, that is the whole point of the play. It was written in response to the political situation between Scotland and England, as a caution against division. 'Better together' propaganda, but set in pagan times, so no offence could be taken. It is deplorable that the author of the book does not understand this pivotal point. Must have been written by an English man!
on 25 August 2010
I brought this for my A-levels. It goes into many of the plays themes indepthly, picking out extracts to explain the sub-text and character development. This book helped me get into the mind of Shakespearean characters.

The best thing about the book is it goes into a lot of the context, of around the time when the play was written.
Every characters motifs is explained. Each scene has an overview section, in case you don't understand why something has happened. I recomend this book if you're studying King Lear and want to further your knowledge before the exam.
on 9 February 2016
I bought this book for me niece, who is 13, because she told me she was going to be doing the play of King Lear, she told me that it was very confusing and it didn't help the play! ) :
on 12 October 2014
I've been using York Notes since GCSE, I got A* in GCSE and A in my AS Literature and using York Notes for my various texts was a massive help, it gave me ideas on which I built on to make them my own and by reading it it becomes very clear how to structure your own essays. I'm using this for A2 at the moment and it's perfect.

No matter what your essay title is, the commentary for each scene is detailed and incredibly useful-I really recommend using York Notes in general.
on 28 May 2013
If you're studying King Lear at A-Level this is incredibly useful, it gives you a summary of every scene with detailed commentary as well. It has themes, critics, context all that is helpful for the exam. Of course you can go deeper into the play but I would still recommend this book when revising.
on 24 March 2016
I bought these for my daughter who is studying this for A2. She says how great they are! She also used these notes for her Other exams and coursework, and did really well with them, animal farm and the great gatsby. Certainly recommended them.
on 28 August 2013
It arrived in time and was easy to read and gave me a easier insight into what was being conveyed. I should have liked more detail about lexis and structure but it was worth buying