on 4 February 2016
I really enjoyed this novel.

It's a bit weird when key characters just go off (and we never find out what happens to them) and the end, for me, was less dramatic and shocking than it probably was at the time of first publication, but it's an excellent window into that era of American history and the characters feel 'real'.

I guess the true testimony is that, while other 'classics' are now free, you still pay to read The Grapes of Wrath.
on 23 October 2017
Marvelous. Considering when it was written it's style and language use are incredibly lucid. I think many of today's authors could learn much from Steinbeck. At times it becomes very touching. At others educational. For me there's one single fault (totally forgivable) It ends abruptly and there could be more to tell.
on 11 June 2016
I now realise why this was classed as a masterpiece all those years ago. I first read this when I was in the sixth form and am returning to it now when I am 69, for my book club read! I am enjoying it immensely and love the Joad family who are the main focus. The parallels with today's world and the issues of migrants, jobs, pay and many more modern issues such as zero hours contracts is astonishing and quite scary! The phrase, "Some things don't change, do they?", comes to mind!
on 9 October 2002
The Grapes of Wrath is literature, poetry, history and politics. At the most basic level, it is the story of a family's migration westward during the Depression in the U.S. The story is poignant and moving, the characters are well developed, the dialogue is realistic and the descriptions of the scenery and action are vivid. By interspersing chapters that aren't part of the Joad family story but are instead insights into the general environment in which the story takes place, Steinbeck takes the book to a higher level. These chapters are written in a poetic cadence and they build on each other and ultimately culminate in the passage that is the source of the title of the book. There is also a lot of religious symbolism in the story that is interesting and powerful. The book gives an insight into an important aspect of American history but also can be considered a piece of history itself, as it was extremely influential when it was first published. There is no subtlety in the powerful political message that is put forward. The book is long, and it is not "unputdownable", but after about the first 50 pages (which are a bit slow), the story moves along nicely and is enjoyable to read. Overall, this is a book that everyone should read at some point in life.
on 5 June 2016
I adore John Steinbeck. His writing appeals to me. He has a whole chapter about a tortoise and I was enthralled. His description of this family's journey takes you with them. You feel all their heartbreak and relief and sorrow with them and I can't get this book out of my head. Additionally, I love the cover of these Penguin Modern Classics. Very sleek.
on 16 February 2016
This was a long book but I really enjoyed it. The difficulties people experienced in America, their struggle to get work was all very moving and John Steinbeck had a true understanding of what it was like. Very readable and no wonder it is still in print although I bought the kindle version as I find it much easier to read that way.
on 4 February 2017
The phraseology can for an English UK speaker be a bit hard at the start but the books over arching story of survival and unrelenting courage is powerful stuff. The human race seems to make the same mistakes over and over again, as a lot seems relevant today.
on 8 August 2017
I hardly write reviews but after I'd finished reading it felt compelled to write. A masterpiece that must be by readers with interest in the history of the suffering of humanity and its perseverance. Has the most imaginative, symbolic and heart- rending ending of any of the books I have read.
on 6 June 2017
A long outstanding return to an American Classic. And better the second time around. I can smell the dust feel the heat and sense the ongoing despair coupled with the spirit to find a life changing solution. Not the best time in American domestic history.
on 9 March 2016
Sensational read. Where have books like this been all my life? It's no wonder it's called the great American novel. Such a story about hardship in the trying 30's. People often thought going to California was the answer to their problems but unfortunately that wasn't the case