on 12 April 2017
Bought this for my 10 year old son as a Christmas present(2016). He started reading it just before Easter (2017) as he was studying WW2 in school. He really enjoyed the story and asked quite a lot of questions related to that time and story. He did say that it was one of his favourite stories and would read it again. Def a firm favourite
on 5 November 2015
I have always liked John Thaw's acting but in this drama is exceeds to a great height in his career, I enjoyed it the first time I saw it in television that when the DVD came out I had to have it, the story is of a young boy from London who is sent away to the country to get away from the German bombs and how a man who lives on his own has to deal with this boy when he is a signed to look after the boys welfare. The drama also stars the talented and sexy Annabelle Apsion, who is best known for playing Monica Gallagher in the hit television comedy-drama Shameless. One of the most beautiful, moving, thought provoking film worth having in your collection you will not be disappointed.
on 14 June 2017
I read book "Goodnight Mr Tom" only recently. Being an avid reader where has it been all my life. I just loved it. I laughed and cried all at the same time. The book is so well written if you close your eyes you can picture the scenes being described, Then I purchased the Bluray DVD version of the movie. Again just outstanding. But its a pity the movie was not hours longer as many parts of the book are not included in the movie. But what is included is true to the book. I cannot tell you about the picture quality or sound in this version of the movie as I was so involved in the story I didn't pay much attention to those aspects of the DVD. I wont go into what the story is about as other reviewers have done that. John Thaw is excellent as Mr Tom and the rest of the cast do a great job. This is a must see movie and deserves all the 5 star reviews. Also I would recommend reading the book to get the bits missed in the movie. Both are just outstanding.
on 18 August 2017
A Review for Teachers

It's not often that a book moves me to tears, but this is one of the exceptions. It tells the story of Willie Beech, a young boy who is evacuated to the countryside and into Tom Oakley's house. Tom's brusque manner alarms Willie at first and he's terrified that he'll be punished for simply existing. However, he soon realises that he can make friends and that he can be loved by the adults in his life. Nevertheless, his mother's hold is still strong and he soon leaves behind his happy life in the countryside when he is summoned to London.

This book is hard-to-read (emotionally) at times and Magorian covers topics that can be challenging to discuss with a Y6 class, but don't be put off. The story is so moving, so intriguing and so beautifully written that it will be a travesty if you don't share it with them. Prepare yourself for questions and plan time to answer them, be it through circle time or extended guided reading.

Willie is so timid, so frightened at the start of the story that you can't help but feel sympathy for his plight. I love the change in the character of 'Mister Tom' too - the character arc is so wonderfully written and he becomes so attached to Will that it warms you down to your toes. Their relationship is the glue that keeps your emotions together - most of the time, anyway.

The book is a perfect addition to a topic on WW2, but be mindful of its tough storyline. It isn't one to tackle lightly, so read it yourself before you read it with your class. It's a wonderful story and one that will stick with you long after you close the cover.
on 22 June 2017
a wonderful read - despite this book being written for children I enjoyed every page - the developing understanding and friendship between Willie and Mr Tom is a delight with many amusing and also touching scenes played out - especially when Willie returns home to London (wont give the story away but it is quite moving and also shocking). Gives a lovely insight into a child's experience of the war and especially those who were evacuated into the countryside. Would recommend it to all to read.
on 5 November 2016
Oh, I love this story. Its a real tear jerker and so well acted and directed. This film has become a classic and you have to watch it right through because it grabs you and wont let you go until you discover how it all works out. Beautiful, enchanting, horrifying, gut wrenching with a wonderful ending.
on 24 April 2014
Like all blu-rays when compared to watching the DVD version or an old video one watching this film is a clearer, more detailed experience and in many cases it's like looking at the film for the first time as the film stock used to transfer to Blu-Ray is usually "worked on" first to get as good a copy as possible. My taste in films may not be the same as yours so if you want to know about this film I suggest that you use the internet to find 2 or 3 reviews by experienced film reviewers and make your judgment whether or not to buy this film. If you want details of the quality of the blu-ray aswell as a review I suggest [...].I have watched over 640 films in my life and I rate this one 8/10.
on 9 October 2017
Well, my dog was starring in the local am dram version of this as Sammy. I didn't have a script after all he had no lines. However I needed to know where in the wings I needed to be. I was extremely pleased that I came home one Saturday night and ordered this at 10.30pm and it arrived at 10.00am on the Sunday. I would have had problems managing without this script.
on 3 January 2016
I loved the book, even though it's meant for children, and on the strength of that bought the DVD. John Thaw is excellent as Tom, but even that doesn't save the film from being mediocre. I know people who love this film, but they've never read the book - maybe I too would have liked it more if hadn't been spoilt by the book. It was OK to watch once, but I doubt if I'll view it again.
on 31 May 2017
A small frightened undernourished boy goes to live with Mister Tom. The boy is Will and he is an evacuee. Having been beaten by his mother it takes him quite a while to realise that living with Uncle Tom is quite different from any thing he has ever known before. This delightful story has sadness in it too but out of unhappiness comes joy.